Mystery switch/breaker

Old 07-09-15, 10:45 AM
Mystery switch/breaker

I have a switch located less than 6" from my panel. I can not trace where it goes. Strange thing is it has its own dedicated 20amp circuit. I just recently inventoried every outlet and light fixture (that's visible) and all are accounted for on the panel. I am curious if anyone has an idea how to go about finding what it's to (preferably without opening walls). Thinking maybe someone has seen a switch next to a panel like this before. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Not sure how to post pics but I will post one if I figure it out.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-15, 11:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Christmas lights outlets outside? Attic ventilation fans?

Old 07-09-15, 02:53 PM
Attick fan accounted for. The two outdoor outlets accounted for as well. The thing that baffles me is that it has its own circuit on a crowded panel.

Old 07-09-15, 03:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Grabbing for straws, but does it affect your air handler? Not that you would need a switch next to a panel with the breaker for it. Leave the switch off. You will eventually run into something that needs that power. Just hope it isn't your freezer

Old 07-09-15, 05:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I have steam heat so it wouldn't be an air handler. I had the same idea about leaving it off and have left it off for about a week. Ive only been in this house for two years, but the panel is fairly new from the looks of it.

Old 07-10-15, 07:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's really bothersome, there are in wall cable tracers you could buy or maybe rent. They are ok (not great), but could send you in the right direction for chasing down the mystery circuit.

Old 07-10-15, 06:04 PM
Do you live in a rural area without a city sewer system? Could it be to an aeration pump on a septic system?