Switch Keeps Tripping When Flipped On

Old 07-09-15, 11:57 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Switch Keeps Tripping When Flipped On

I have a circuit that runs to 4 switches: 3 exterior lights and 1 foyer light. One of the exterior switches leads to 3 carriage lights. I previously had one of the Home Depot automatic switches in there but I decided to take it out and put back the original switch.

Unfortunately, that switch now trips the breaker every time. The other 3 switches all work just fine. So I'm guessing the breaker is fine.

There's been no nailing in the area that I think leads to the carriage lights. I am wondering if it is one of the carriage lights that is causing the problem and how I could pin this down.

Previously, that automatic switch was working fine but I did notice something odd, the lights would be on at a low level if it the switch was supposed to be off. The lights I used were LEDs candelabra style. I just tried one of those in another carriage light (on another circuit) and they tripped the breaker after a few seconds -- very odd. Took out all the LEDs thinking it could solve the problem. Nope, switch still trips breaker with regular incandescents. I tried different switches, even a 20 amp one.

I'm so confused...

Old 07-10-15, 02:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It would help if you could remove the power to the circuit, pull the switches in the box and post pictures of the wiring. Hopefully it was a small mistake in placing a wire in the wrong place. Do you have a link to the "automatic" switch you removed? Did it require a neutral to operate? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 07-10-15, 05:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 196 Upvotes on 172 Posts
Remove the load wire from the switch and see if it trips. Also look to see if a hot is close to a ground in the box. Was this a switch loop that was rewired?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: