Hot wire and neutral wire both are hot

Old 07-10-15, 06:49 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot wire and neutral wire both are hot

I cut out a short 2' long electrical cable that I bought from Home Depot. I insert only the black wire into an outlet, using my voltage tester I see all black, neutral and ground wire have voltage. Is it normal? How could I get voltage on the neutral and ground wire when they are not even connected to the electrical source?

Old 07-10-15, 06:56 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What kind of tester are you using? If it is a non contact tester, they are designed to test for an electrical field within a general area. Therefore if you get it close enough to the outlet it will light up regardless of which wire you think you are testing.

And what are you "testing" for btw....

Old 07-10-15, 06:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Why are you doing something so dangerous? How are you neasuring voltage? What instrument are you using? Why are you checking anyway?

Old 07-10-15, 09:49 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What is your meaning of "hot". A 120 volt circuit consists of two "hot" wires. The grounded conductor (neutral) and the ungrounded conductor. Electric enters via the ungrounded conductor and leaves by the grounded conductor. then it shifts direction and enters by the grounded conductor and leaves by the ungrounded conductor. It shifts in direction sixty times every second.

I suspect you were fooled by the misleading information on a non contact tester which suggests it is for finding voltage. It isn't really. It is for finding a magnetic field which may or may not indicate the presence of a significant voltage capable of doing harm.

Old 07-10-15, 07:12 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I cut out a short 2' long electrical cable that I bought from Home Depot. I insert only the black wire into an outlet, using my voltage tester I see all black, neutral and ground wire have voltage
The cable you bought from Home Depot should't have any voltage on it till it is properly connected to a live crcuit, note I said properly connected. You shouldn't be inserting any wires into a live receptacle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: