Using Sched 40 conduit for wiring in basement

Old 07-10-15, 07:16 AM
Using Sched 40 conduit for wiring in basement

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this topic has been covered before.

I want to run some outlets in my unfinished basement. I do not plan to finish the basement.

I plan on dropping three separate outlets about 8 feet apart along a wall where I will have a workbench. I do some woodworking and use some power tools for light DIY projects around the house.

I also want to install three outlets tied together vertically along a 15 foot wall where I will set up a desk and table (computer, printer etc). There are 6 unused slots on the 200 amp panel.

So a couple of questions:

1) Is 1/2 inch Schedule 40 gray PVC acceptable conduit to run 14-2 NM w/ground in? The conduit will be attached to the concrete walls.

2) Is there any reason not to run those three horizontal outlets in close proximity to the panel itself? I plan on placing them 2' off of the floor?

3) Is there any general advice you could share about using Sched 40 pvc in such a project?

Thank you for you help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-15, 07:23 AM
Since you are wiring outlets, it may be best to use 12-2. For just a few feet of wiring the cost shouldn't break the bank. 14-2 is generally only run for lighting fixtures.

Sch40 is perfectly acceptable to use, and I would add a GFCI at the first outlet and wire the rest downstream. I'm sure your basement is dry, but it never hurts to have added protection.

The last advice would be to wire the outlet for the tools on a separate circuit from your lighting circuit in the workshop. That way if something trips (like a spinning table saw blade while running!) you can still see......

Old 07-10-15, 07:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The plan is acceptable. PVC should be supported with a clip every 3'. All outlets in an unfinished basement must have GFCI protection either by making the first device a feed-through GFCI receptacle or using a GFCI breaker. There are no distance or height restrictions for receptacle spacing in work/storage rooms. I prefer to set them about 50" off the floor to accommodate some type of 4x8 sheet good leaning up against the wall.

Old 07-10-15, 07:34 AM
Group Moderator
14-2 is generally only run for lighting fixtures.
This is not true, however, I agree with Perry that a 20 amp circuit (#12 wire) is a good plan.

but it never hurts to have added protection.
Ground fault is required for ANY unfinished basement.

I would also recommend using 3/4" PVC. Also, it is much easier using individual conductors in conduit, so you might want to consider that when wiring from box to box. Be sure to run a ground.

Old 07-10-15, 08:40 AM
Schedule 80 if "subject to physical damage" - depends on your inspector.

Old 07-10-15, 11:58 AM
If you are going to run more than a single circuit, which I think you should, then I strongly suggest that you use individual conductors with type THHN/THWN insulation. Pulling cable through conduit is difficult under the best of conditions.

Remember, no more than a total of 360 degrees of bend in the conduit without a permanently accessible "pull point", either a box or conduit fitting with cover. Have the conduit system fully assembled before pulling any wires.

Old 07-10-15, 12:53 PM
Group Moderator
While you can't include wire while assembling and gluing you can include a pull string.

Old 07-10-15, 07:36 PM
1) Is 1/2 inch Schedule 40 gray PVC acceptable conduit to run 14-2 NM w/ground in? The conduit will be attached to the concrete walls.
If you are going to use NM cable, why use all conduit? If it were me I'd use the NM cable through holes drilled in the joists and just use the conduit where I was dropping down the concrete walls. Also, if it was me I'd use EMT conduit instead of PVC. In my opinion, the idea for a DIY project is to make it look like it was professionally done. I'd also use 20 amp circuits.