Overhead drop for underground code question.

Old 07-10-15, 08:07 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Overhead drop for underground code question.

Hi all

I just bought a new house with a shop that has a 40 amp service run with overhead drop. It looks recently replaced. (I'm guessing it was run as a bad DIY and replaced before they sold to me)

I'd like to move it underground so I don't have to look at it. I'm curious if I could just buy conduit and pull the existing overhead drop through it? The way they ran it I'd have more than enough wire. Would that be up to code to reuse the overhead wire in a conduit?

Old 07-10-15, 08:19 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Check out what kind of cable or wire they used for the overhead drop and report back. If they used the right kind of wire for the overhead, it can probably go in conduit but it's best to check for sure. Types NMD, quadplex, USE, URD, TECK should be ok. Types NMD, SER or triplex are not ok. The conduit would need to be buried 18" deep.

Last edited by ibpooks; 07-10-15 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-10-15, 08:35 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Just to cover all the bases - you're sure there's enough length of wire currently so you wouldn't have any splices, right?

Old 07-10-15, 11:04 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'll have to climb up and check what type of wire when I get home. It looks just like the drops that run the main feed for the house. Bare ground with two insulated conductors twisted around it if that helps.

Same as the one linked here.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rvice_drop.JPG

There would be one splice box inside my house before it goes outside and into conduit. My breaker panel is on the front of the house and the shop around back. Way easier to run through the basement then splice to outside.

Thanks!

Old 07-10-15, 12:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
A three wire feed to an outbuilding žs allowed to continue in use if existing. A new install should be 4 wires under the NEC.

The triplex cable linked to probably has a steel messenger wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: