Steal switches from a 3-way outlet to add a light

Old 07-11-15, 08:18 AM
Steal switches from a 3-way outlet to add a light

I have a 3-way switched outlet in my dining room. (only half of the outlet is switched). In need to add a ceiling light to dining. My original plan was to simply run the wire steal some power and add a new switch. That part, I could manage.

I don't use the 3-way switched outlet so I was wondering if there was a way that I could steal or tap into the 3-way switches that I belong to the outlet. In an ideal world, I would like to drop the outlet and make always on, but I could definitely live with just tapping into it so that my light and outlet are 3-way at the same time.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-15, 08:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does this tie into the other thread you have started? We try to keep all the similar things together so we don't have to jump around. A moderator may combine the two or eliminate one not used. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ay-outlet.html

Old 07-11-15, 08:55 AM
No - two separate issues - I figured that it would be cleanest to have to separate threads since this a unique issue.

Here is a layout of what I'm looking at:
Name:  layout new.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  21.5 KB

Last edited by rick.schopp; 07-11-15 at 09:05 AM. Reason: add picutre
Old 07-11-15, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
You should be able to go into the receptacle and convert it to always live so that your three ways control your new light. We would need to know the wiring at the receptacle.

You should find three wires on the receptacle. Typically the red wire would be connected to the switched half of the receptacle, the black wire connected to the always live half and white on the opposite side.

You should find the bridge clip removed from the receptacle.

Name:  receptacle side view.JPG
Views: 289
Size:  8.7 KB

You would replace that with a new receptacle and connect black and white only to it. Your new light would connect to red and white and will work with the switch.

Old 07-11-15, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
You have drawn how you think it's wired but more than likely that is incorrect. If you connect your new light at the switched receptacle it should eliminate any wiring issues.

We would still need confirmation of the wiring on the switched receptacle.

Old 07-11-15, 09:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Also, you could just bring a cable from the switched receptacle, connect it to the switched wire and neutral, run it up and over to the light location. It will be operated by both 3 way switches.

Name:  three.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  22.4 KB

Old 07-11-15, 09:49 AM
Thanks gentlemen. These are great suggestions. I was missing the trees through the forest.