Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Swapping Switches between a single pole light and a 3-way outlet

Old 07-11-15, 08:24 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a single pole light and a 3-way outlet (only have of the outlet is switched). The single pole light and the 3-way outlet share a junction box. I was wondering if it was possible to do some magic within my junction box to convert the outlet to a single pole and have my lights on the 3-way switch.

Alternatively, but less ideal - Add my lights to the same 3-way chain effectively leaving me with a dead switch.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-15, 08:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The receptacle is not "three way", only wired to where half of the receptacle is switched. The tab is broken between the red and black wires, if you will note. It may very well be controlled via two 3 way switches. Where is the light you want controlled by the three way switches located? You can turn the receptacle back to a fully energized (non split) receptacle by determining which wire is switched and which is always hot, removing and capping the switched wire, and replacing the receptacle with a new one without the tab broken.

Need to know about your light first, as all rooms must have a switched method of turning on either overhead lighting or a split receptacle.

Old 07-11-15, 08:51 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry undated for new picture. Here is a picture of the layout. Name:  layout 2.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  16.0 KB

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by rick.schopp; 07-11-15 at 09:00 AM. Reason: new picture