Service Drop Stretched Tight -- Is It A Problem?

Old 07-12-15, 06:49 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 285 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Service Drop Stretched Tight -- Is It A Problem?

It's my neighbor's house but I thought I would ask the question anyway.

The utility pole has lilted to one side resulting in the pole to pole secondary line being stretched out of shape and the service drop has no more slack.

Only because of some give (shown by the red arrow) the service drop has not broken yet.

Were the service drop to break the neutral/ground/messenger would break first causing an open neutral condition in the house.

Should the power company be called to come out and re-do the service drop with some slack again?

Attached Images  
Old 07-12-15, 07:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I would think Yes, they should be advised to come out and inspect and/or correct the issue. As you say, losing the neutral would be devastating to the dwelling and its contents.

Old 07-12-15, 07:46 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Were the service drop to break the neutral/ground/messenger would break first causing an open neutral condition in the house.
Of course I haven't seen this, but my opinion is that the neutral messenger is not likely to break because it is problaly ACSR with a steel core. I believe the most likely thing to happen is the service drop will pull loose at the house or if it is attached to a rigid steel conduit mast, the mast might bend at the roof penetration. Yes, call the power company. I suspect they'll try to straighten the pole and possibly add a guy wire.

Old 07-14-15, 03:15 PM
A
Received 285 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Thanks. I will call the power company.

It will not be easy to install a guy wire since that would have to be anchored in someone's front yard.

Old 07-14-15, 06:10 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
It will not be easy to install a guy wire since that would have to be anchored in someone's front yard.
Guy wires typically only get attached a few feet from the pole and will still be inside the utility easement, no problem.

Old 07-14-15, 06:37 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Name:  x.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  14.6 KB

Old 07-14-15, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,050 Upvotes on 3,633 Posts
I have run into this issue in the past. Our PoCo is not terribly responsive to this type of request as some poles are owned by them and some by the phone company. It could take a month for them to determine whose it is.

I would recommend you keep calling until you get satisfaction and keep a list of who you talked to and the date. If any damage occurs.... it's on them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: