Hi all...I have a pool.
The pool pump is on a 220V breaker
The pump is tuned on by a 3 position switch similar to this:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...ZNW6dVjm0pH9gg

Up is on
Middle is ?
Down is off.

I need to know if my assumptions are correct:

1. I assume that the middle is for a timer or a thermostatic switch to run the pool. Say for a timer, if it have it set to the middle and the timer kicks the pump on, the pump will run. Up: always on, Down: always off, middle: pump runs by timer.

2. I assume if i have it in the down position the timer has no power and stops, therefor must be reset once the power is restored.

3. I assume if I have the switch in the up position the pump is always on and the timer will be powered and not lose time as well.

Are all these assumptions correct?

Thanks all...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-15, 09:16 PM
Group Moderator
I would say your assumptions are not correct. In order for a switch of that type to be used for a 240v motor it needs to be a two pole switch. In the following link is the type that should be used. It has four screw terminals..... two for the line and two for the load. It is either on or off and has no middle position.

Commercial Electrical 20 Amp, Toggle Double-Pole AC Quiet Switch, 120/277 Volt, Extra Heavy Duty Grade, Self Grounding, Back and Side Wired, Brown/Black/Gray/Ivory/Red/White, 1222-2 : Toggle

I can't see the switch in your link but if it has three positions and four terminals then it would be a first for me.

Old 07-14-15, 03:48 PM
Thanks so much for the reply, I will post a picture of my setup, Name:  Controls.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  49.4 KB

The switch already exists, its the bell switch in the bottom right of the screen, it has the 3 positions. I am going to remove the box above the 3-position switch, that box is a thermostat switch that kicks the pump on when the temp drops too low. I believe, with the switch set to the middle position it will run based on the temp. My pump does not have a timer and I rather have that as we do not use the pool in cold temps. So, with the switch already existing... are my assumptions correct?

Old 07-14-15, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
As PJ asked are there four or six screws on the switch in the bell box.

Old 07-14-15, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
I can pretty much tell what he has. Since I see a contactor there would probably not be the need to break both 240v legs as the contactor would do that.

You wouldn't need a three position switch. Just on or off. When the switch is in the off position.... the timer/freeze protect would bypass the switch.

So in your case..... the center position could be the timer/freeze protect position. You would have to open the switch box and see if the switch had three wires connected to it and if one of those wires was one from that thermostat.

Old 07-14-15, 08:15 PM
Much more likely is that the middle position of the switch is off, the upper position is manually on and the lowest position places the thermostat in the circuit to allow the pump to run at low temperatures to reduce the chance of freezing. You can check this by placing the switch in the center and lower positions and using a stick or other insulated object press the plastic piece in the center of the "contactor" in the thermostat box inward to manually make the contact for freeze protection run.

Old 07-14-15, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
Hard to see the wiring but I would think that the contactor when pushed in would always turn on the pump regardless of the switch position.

Old 07-14-15, 08:31 PM
As you state, without knowing the full wiring scheme it is impossible to say exactly what action may take place. I base my opinion on the unknown switch and that IF it is a more-or-less "standard" toggle then the center position is much more likely to be an off position.

Old 07-14-15, 08:39 PM
Sorry, there are six wires going into the back of the switch

Looking at the back I believe it goes like this

*Black *Black

*Red *Red

*Red *Black

Also it says on the switch itself, on is up and on is down, so middle must be or probably should be off. BUT this winter I had it in the down position and the thermostat was lit under freezing temps which I assume would have kicked the pump on, but the pump did not go on.

So... confused.

Old 07-14-15, 08:42 PM
I shoudl have refreshed before posting, thanks to all... Yes, it shows middle as off, but I don't believe it is off as the freeze protector actually lit when in the down position, but the pump did not fire. odd.

Old 07-14-15, 09:39 PM
Depending on how the whole circuit is wired it is not at all odd that the indicator on the thermostat might be lit even with the switch in the off position. As for the pump not running it could be the coil in the contactor has failed.

It isn't heart surgery or rocket science but it will require a few hours tracing out all the wiring and determining which contacts on the switch make and break in all positions. Everything regarding electricity is logical and by making diagrams you can figure it all out.