How to simply Power a 12V DC Cordless Drill off AC Mains?

Old 07-14-15, 04:02 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to simply Power a 12V DC Cordless Drill off AC Mains?

I have a little 12V cordless drill & want to do away with the battery as they are too expensive & just be able to run it in my shed off 240V mains.
I have basic electronic knowledge & plan on just connecting the DC cable to run to the terminals where the battery pack connects with some basic plug.

Can I simple use a Laptop style AC charger that can dish out enough wattage?

If not, what do I really need?

thanks

Old 07-14-15, 04:19 AM
A
Received 279 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Yes you can use a charger for some other device but most likely you cannot connect it via the existing outside terminals on the drill (except for combination battery and mains powered drills). These terminals might not carry the wattage needed to operate the drill.

Nothing bad would happen; the drill just might not run.

You would have to connect to the internal terminals that the drill's own battery connected to.

Just a wild guess but I think the drill would need at least 10 amperes at 12 volts. It would not draw all 10 amps all the time, only when doing heavy work.

Old 07-14-15, 05:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,181 Upvotes on 1,951 Posts
The easiest way to do it without getting too fancy or electrical would be to charge a 12 volt battery and then run your drill off the battery. But, corded drills are so inexpensive that if you have to go buy anything you'd likely be better off to just go buy a corded drill.

Old 07-14-15, 06:16 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
A motorcycle battery and trickle charger? You can probably find a used one cheap or free somewhere that is no good for the bike but would power the drill just fine.

Old 07-14-15, 06:17 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have a fancy rotate right angle drill that isn't available corded.

Is there some type of power supply that can be recommended? Just examples.

what about 150watt ac adaptors? wouldn't they give enough current?

thanks

Old 07-14-15, 06:45 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Only way to know for sure is to give it a try. I have a cordless circular saw I'd love to power off the mains but the battery pack is capable of delivering 60A. I do happen to have a 60A power supply but it weighs 75 pounds!

Old 07-14-15, 12:06 PM
A
Received 279 Upvotes on 255 Posts
You need to do the research (homework) to find out how many amperes the drill might need. You might try calling the manufacturer.

Otherwise getting it powered with an external source is going to be hit or miss, trial and error.

You will need a somewhat heavier cord to feed it with 12 volts compared with cords for 120 volt tools. A ballpark guess would be ten gauge wires for an external power supply about ten feet away.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: