Zinsco panel_replace it?

Old 07-14-15, 05:18 PM
Zinsco panel_replace it?

In process of upgrading pool electrical, I encountered this indoor 200amp Sylvania MLB20(20-40)C subpanel which contains two 40amp SPST and one 20amp SPST breakers feeding the pool subpanel.

There is no Zinsco label, however, the panel arrangement & breakers appear to be Zinsco type. From what I gather on the web, these panel designs are more susceptible to arcing and often recommended for replacement.

Even tho it seems to be working fine and no obvious signs of issues, should I replace it?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-15, 05:40 PM
Even tho it seems to be working fine and no obvious signs of issues, should I replace it?
I would definitely replace it in the not-too-distant future. GTE Sylvania bought Zinsco, but kept the Zinsco design that is a known fire hazard.

Zinsco Sylvania Kearney Electrical Panel and Circuit Breaker Hazards, Failures, Inspection, Detection, Repair, Replacement - Sylvania Zinsco circuit breakers and panel hazards

Old 07-14-15, 05:51 PM
Thx for the link. Seems prudent to replace. Wish I'd noticed this during escrow

Old 07-14-15, 06:24 PM
I shipped off an email to a local, experienced electrician who has done some work for me in the past. His take is not worth the cost ($2.5K), has stood the test of time. Said he could put in brand new panel and no guarantee in 2yrs there wouldn't be a problem.

Old 07-14-15, 06:33 PM
I shipped off an email to a local, experienced electrician who has done some work for me in the past. His take is not worth the cost ($2.5K), has stood the test of time. Said he could put in brand new panel and no guarantee in 2yrs there wouldn't be a problem.
I wouldn't pay $2500 to just replace a panel either, it doesn't cost nearly that much unless that is an entire new service including new meter socket and new service entrance wiring. I'd check with another electrician and get a real quote. Ask for a copper bus loadcenter. I'd go with either a 30-40 panel or a full 40 circuit panel.

Old 07-14-15, 09:54 PM
I thot that sounded a little high. I do have some queries out to other electricians. Some research turned up the Eaton "Renovation" panel which is designed to replace older panels, using adjustable terminal block placement. Minimizes wire nuts.