Re-Purpose 3 way switch circuit

Old 07-14-15, 09:43 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re-Purpose 3 way switch circuit

Currently have a room with a 3 way switched outlet that turns on a couple of lamps. Wanting to add an overhead central light using the same switches and make the outlet always on.

The current setup is this:

Name:  Untitled picture.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  10.5 KB

The switches are elongated just to show that the wires are in the switch box.

Due to an upstairs subfloor replacement I have access to the center of the room for the new light and switch A but not switch B (easily).

How would I rewire this to have the light come off of switch A, be controlled by both switches, and have the outlet always on?

Old 07-14-15, 09:49 PM
K
My understanding is that it would be like this:

Name:  3-way-switch-3.gif
Views: 466
Size:  19.2 KB
[SUP]http://www.electrical-online.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/3-way-switch-3.gif[/SUP]

Where the black wire terminal in the 'outlying' switch would also have the black for the outlet attached but what about the white for the outlet?

Old 07-14-15, 11:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,877 Upvotes on 3,475 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If you are 100% sure your diagram is exactly what you have then you can't do what you want. Your diagram shows 120v in at switch A. The receptacle is fed from switch B. You would need to connect your light at switch B or the receptacle. Actually, if you connect at switch B or the receptacle.... the receptacle would remain switched.

Your diagram also illustrates that both halves of the receptacle are switched as you are not showing an always live feed to the receptacle.

You could do what you want using a single switch at either end. You would lose your two three way switches.

Your second diagram is possible but you would no longer be able to power the receptacle as you would not have a neutral at switch B.

Old 07-15-15, 07:56 AM
K
Thanks!

Sounds like I have a decision to make. This is all after gaining access to the wiring to/from switch B.

1. There is another outlet pretty close to the switched one.
So I could rewire it per the second diagram and just kill power to the switched outlet correct. And then when I remodel the room with the outlets, just open the drywall and connect the two outlets

2. Run another 12-2 between the switches to connect the b/w from the breaker box to the outlet line in switch B. So a big jumper. Lot of cables in a switch box though...

3. Make the switches both doubles, run another 4 (well 12-2 would work) wire line between the two and have both the outlet and light switched but separately.

I said 'I have a decision' but that's really the wife's call.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: