Problem with Exterior Doorbell (Wired with button)

Old 07-17-15, 02:07 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problem with Exterior Doorbell (Wired with button)

Hi,
I'll attempt to be as detailed as possible here, but I'm definitely no pro at this so forgive me if I come off as redundant or anything.

Essentially our problem is that the doorbell will ring for no apparent reason; I'll outline below:
  • Doorbell will ring at completely random times and intervals with no external stimulus
  • When this first started happening (about a year ago), we'd go to the door, notice no one was there, and also notice that the button had been pressed. We knew this because the button sticks sometimes, and has a light that is only on when the button is in the "out" position.
  • Obviously our first guess was kids playing a joke on us, but I camped the door for a few nights in a row, and got to it instantly, with no one in sight.
So, my question is this: is there any external factor that would cause the button to become depressed without someone actually pushing it? Pressure inside of it, anything? It's really strange and we just want it to be fixed. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-17-15, 05:48 AM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
I doubt there is any external force,insects possibly, replace the button and see what happens.
Geo

Old 07-17-15, 06:02 AM
Received 716 Upvotes on 637 Posts
Could be that the two wires maybe loose at the button and temperature or vibration may be making them touch momentarily. Could also be a short along the wire to the transformer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: