Shared neutral sort of I think..

Old 07-17-15, 07:12 PM
Exclamation Shared neutral sort of I think..

We've been doing remodeling for over a year, so a while back I wired a circuit of lights that include a 3way switched light and a 2way switched light in a ganged box with other circuits. Now, revisiting the job and trying to remember what I did, it looks like I have a shared neutral kinda situation where power is fed to a ceiling light and then the 3way switches controlling it are tied off of that. So power is brought from the ceiling box down into the ganged box (apparently?) by a shared neutral 3 wire cable and used to power the 3way and 2way switches.

It's all one circuit at the single breaker, but somehow instead of running a 2wire cable and using pigtails in the ganged box, I have the 3 wire which avoids pigtails.

It's a headache to replace the 3 wire cable now with a 2 wire, so if I can leave it, great. Is this set-up acceptable to code?

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-15, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
So power is brought from the ceiling box down into the ganged box (apparently?) by a shared neutral 3 wire cable and used to power the 3way and 2way switches.
2-way switch is what a 3-way is called in the UK but not used here. I assume you mean a SPST single location switch. What you describe is not a shared neutral. It is a switch loop for the 3-way and power to the SPST switch. You couldn't use a 2-conductor cable. You need the black to provide constant power to both switches. The white for neutral for the SPST circuit and the red to carry power back to the ceiling light.

Old 07-19-15, 07:52 PM
Thanks ray2047!

Believe it or not, that was enough to get my brain going and I have it working now. You're right... not a shared neutral and the black provides constant power to both switches.

Old 07-19-15, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for letting us know how it worked out.