Pump control wiring

Old 07-21-15, 10:09 AM
Pump control wiring

Hello all,

I'm working on a project in my utility room today, installing a timer for a drip system. To power the timer I opened up a junction box where an electrician had previously hooked up a pump control switch for our water system. This is what I found:

Name:  pump motor wiring.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  18.7 KB

The pump control switch works just fine, but I'm stumped as to why the neutrals from the line and the motor are spliced together and not wired into the control switch. If it's perfectly fine to do this then I'll leave it alone but my instincts tell me to have the neutral from the line go to terminal 1 and the neutral from the motor to terminal 4.

What should I do? Wire it up differently or leave it alone? Thanks for any and all replies!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-15, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
The component you posted is a standard 240v two pole well control pressure switch.
(Not a timer of any type)

Name:  well-pump-pressure-switch-wiring.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  35.9 KB

Basically that pressure switch has two sets of contacts for a 240v pump motor.
You would only use one set of the switches for a 120v pump...... like shown in your diagram.

Old 07-21-15, 12:57 PM
Hi PJmax, thanks for your quick reply. I know it's not a timer; I opened the junction box where this pump control switch is wired into in order to wire in a timer for a drip system. That's when I came accross the wiring as depicted in my diagram.

I am confused now. The wiring diagram for the pressure switch is like this:

Name:  url.jpg
Views: 4428
Size:  15.8 KB

It doesn't show anything like a different wiring diagram for 240v power. To me, it looks like I should be wiring it like this:

Name:  pump motor wiring1.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  16.4 KB

I guess my big question is... can I just leave it like it is, i.e. is it wired correctly (and safely) as it is in my first diagram? Thanks!

Old 07-21-15, 01:10 PM
Group Moderator
Leave it like it is.

The switch is a two pole switch for use with a 240v circuit. That's why there is L1 and L2. With 120v operation you only have one line. Just keep the other set of contacts as a spare.

Old 07-21-15, 01:14 PM
Group Moderator
Is the pump 120 or 240?
'm stumped as to why the neutrals from the line and the motor are spliced together and not wired into the control switch.
  • If 120 volts neutrals are never interrupted by a switch.
  • If 240 volts there are no neutrals, only hots.