Microwave Trips GFCI

Old 07-24-15, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Microwave Trips GFCI

I have a 700 watt countertop microwave (from 2002) plugged into a three-prong GFCI in my kitchen. For the past few weeks the GFCI will trip when I use the microwave. I have been pressing the reset button and the microwave will work for a while, and then it trips again. I am concerned because it has been tripping daily for the past few days so I thought I'd ask for opinions. (I know nothing about electricity.) Nothing else is plugged into that outlet, only the microwave.

I tested the outlet by pressing the test button, which turns the green indicator light off, and then pressing the reset button which turns the green light on again. Does this mean that the outlet itself is OK? Is it likely that the microwave is going bad? I don't want to call an electrician if the problem is the microwave.

Should I switch the microwave to a different GFCI outlet and see if the same thing happens? I appreciate any feedback on this as it is kind of stressing me out!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-15, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Should I switch the microwave to a different GFCI outlet and see if the same thing happens?
Yes. If it works on the other GFCI replace the GFCI that is giving you trouble.

Old 07-24-15, 08:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
If it trips other gfi's the microwave is the issue.

Old 07-25-15, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I'm hoping the problem is the old microwave rather than the wiring...

Old 07-25-15, 01:04 PM
Group Moderator
I'm hoping the problem is the old microwave rather than the wiring...
We didn't say it was the wiring. We have suggested it might be the GFCI receptacle or the microwave. Wiring would only be after those two things were eliminated.

Old 07-25-15, 01:16 PM
OK. I appreciate the clarification.
Thanks!

Old 07-25-15, 05:30 PM
Oops. I forgot to say that this situation with the GFCI tripping only happens when I open the door of the microwave after I heat something. At the exact time I open the door, it trips. Never happens during the actual heating cycle. Don't know if that makes a difference but I thought I'd mention it in case it does...

Old 07-25-15, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
the GFCI tripping only happens when I open the door of the microwave
Sounds like a door interlock safety switch is the culprit. Without expensive test equipment replacing each of the switches one at a time would be the only way to test. It could be a circuit board also but that is getting beyond what I know.

Old 07-28-15, 06:16 AM
Thanks. I plugged it into a different GFCI outlet and am waiting to see what happens. Really appreciate your help.