Rewire paper shredder motor

Old 07-25-15, 07:53 AM
Rewire paper shredder motor

Hello - I have a commercial paper shredder that has stopped working. It appears the logic board or one of the safety sensors has died. I would like to rewire the unit to have the motor constantly run in one direction when plugged in. In other words, I don't need to reverse it (I'll just run a few sheets at a time through it), and I don't need the other safety or convenience features. It has a 1 HP single phase motor, and a capacitor that is 60 microfarads. I'm not sure if it's a run or start capacitor. I have attached pics of the motor and cap, and also two diagrams from the owner's manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Oh and I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous, so keep that in mind. Thanks in advance.
Name:  shredder2.jpg
Views: 4106
Size:  34.1 KBName:  shredder1.jpg
Views: 5430
Size:  21.9 KBName:  shredder3.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  37.0 KBName:  shredder4.jpg
Views: 2182
Size:  37.0 KBName:  shredder5.jpg
Views: 2177
Size:  38.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-15, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I don't need the other safety or convenience features.
You do know the safety features are put there for a reason ?

I'm always leery about bypassing safety features especially in a paper shredder with a 1+ horsepower motor.

In any event I'd need those diagrams hosted on an outside site or sent to me to host as I can't get the needed definition as posted here. Photobucket is a good free site.

Old 07-25-15, 11:00 AM
Thanks Pete.

Here's a link to the actual owners manual with the full diagrams inside the PDF.

I wouldn't mind the safety features either, but they want $400 for a new board and it might not even be that - it might be one of the sensors instead.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...TNWRTlDRGg1ekU

Old 07-25-15, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
Can't help you with the safety switches. They should be easy to check with an ohmmeter.

In the schematic there is a circuit that supplies voltage to one of two relays for motor starting direction. Without that part of the circuit operating you will need to install a power switch and a starting pushbutton.

Old 07-25-15, 04:20 PM
Would you be able to provide me with a wiring diagram using a power switch and starter button?

Old 08-01-15, 08:41 AM
Bump... Can anyone please help?

Old 08-01-15, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
We try to help people repair things but avoid contributing to projects that might not be in the best interests of people to attempt.

As far as the schematic goes it does not really give enough info to be able to do much with anyway.
In addition to the lack of where the capacitor connects some of the safeties on shredders are in the circuitry of the board.
One is over current protection which you would not have if you ran the motor directly.

I work on these and you are not the only one to be reluctant to toss these for what seems like a small problem.
Like said, check the external safeties for continuity and if they are ok toss it.