1 1/2 hp emerson table saw motor blows fuse

Old 07-26-15, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1 1/2 hp emerson table saw motor blows fuse

i bought a used ridgid table saw with a bad 1 1/2 hp 120 volt 3450 rpm emerson motor made in usa. when i turn the motor on the motor runs for a few seconds and trips a fuse. i am testing it on a 20 amp circuit. i took the motor apart and both bearings are fine, blew out any sawdust with compressed air. no burnt smell in motor, wires seem fine. i'm not sure on the capaciters, i checked them with a meter and i want to check both capacitors one more time. i wasn't to sure how to check the capaciters but i think i know what to do. the contact switch seems to be ok at least i think so. i hope someone can help me get this motor fixed and tell me what to do, i prefer using a motor made in usa.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-15, 10:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
The first thing to do is too make sure it's wired correctly for the voltage you are using it on.

the contact switch seems to be ok at least i think so.
Does the centrifugal start switch open when pushed in ?

Old 07-26-15, 10:27 AM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
the contact switch seems to be ok at least i think so
The switch is what I'd look hard at, how do you know it's OK? It looks to me more like a 1 HP motor, where did you get 1 1/2 HP? Unless it's a fairly old motor it was probably assembled in Mexico.

Old 07-28-15, 09:14 AM
hi, yes it is wired correctly, the motor is wired for 120v from the factory. i do need to make sure it is running on a 20 amp circuit. i bought this table saw used but in excellent condition knowing that the motor was bad. i don't smell anything burning, no visible loose wires, the switch seems to open up like it should. could a bad capacitor blow a fuse.

Old 07-28-15, 09:18 AM
this motor is what came with the ridged table saw. the switch seems to move i guess like it should, it doesn't seem stuck.

Old 07-28-15, 05:18 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
I believe I'd take it to a motor shop and have them check it out.

Old 07-28-15, 10:17 PM
motor replaced

i already replaced the motor with a harborfreight 1.5 hp wired it up for 240. i will try to fix the motor myself, if i keep on spending money on this table saw it's like i paid full price. i started out at $100.00 for the saw, then around $130.00 for a new motor, just spent $38.00 on two double pulleys and will replace the serpentine belt and pulleys with two double pulleys using two 1/2" belts. the old moter was 120 volts, the new motor is 120/240, i wired it for 240v as i have 240 volts in my shop. the serpentine belt squeaks when the motor starts up so i think a heavier duty belt is needed.

Old 07-29-15, 05:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The Emerson motor you picture is a dual voltage motor, and that is why Pete asked you to make sure it was wired for the proper voltage. Assuming it was wired at the factory for 120 volts could have left you with a non working motor that was really wired for 240 volts.