Wiring two 3-way switches

Old 07-26-15, 12:58 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring two 3-way switches

Hello all,

Im trying to wire up 2 3-way switches in my little girls room. These things always confuse me, and the way i have the wires ran for this one has me a little unsure of myself. Here is a link to the google drawing doc, i made it so everyone has access to edit. If someone could draw the wire connections together for me it would really help me to see it visually.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-26-15, 02:13 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Name:  snapshot40.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  34.0 KB

At power in switch white of the 2-conductor cable is connected to the white of the 3-conductor.

At the power in switch black of the 2-coonductor cable goes to common.

At power out switches the white of the 3-conductir is connected to the neutrals of the loads.

At the power out switches the blacks of the load out cables go to the commons.

Red and black of the 3-conductor are the travelers.

Tried to rework your diagram but it was difficult because of the way it was drawn. I assume one switch was for lights and one for receptacles but your diagram wasn't clear on that.

Perhaps this will be clearer:

Name:  3-way_PWR-SW-1.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  16.9 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 07-26-15 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-26-15, 04:19 PM
D
I redid the diagram to be more clear and connected the wires how i thought they should go. I think that would of been easier from the start, sorry about the lack of clarity.

Your diagram makes sense, i guess what confuses me, is how in this case, my "power in" is coming only to box 2. Switch 2 is going to light 2 from box 2, and then switch 1 is going to light 1 from box 1.

This means i have to pass power from box 2 to box 1, and i end up with what i believe to be a capped wire on the second hot with each switch opposite switch of its light location. Please refer again to my diagram and you'll see what i mean.

Old 07-26-15, 04:52 PM
The second 3-way is wired differently if the light is fed from the box where power comes in. I suggest you treat this as two different wiring jobs to save confusion. Wire one then the other.
  • The neutral of power in is connected directly to power out neutral.
  • One wire of the three conductor cable is connected to the black of power out. (I used white of the 3-conductor in my diagram).
  • The other two wires of the 3-conductor cable are your travelers.
  • At the left switch the wire of the 3-conductor cable not used as a traveler (white in my diagram) is connected to the common.
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  25.9 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 07-26-15 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-26-15, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Just to add some fuel to the fire.

Name:  diagram.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  16.4 KB

I like that google drawing system.... I have to look into that.

Old 07-27-15, 09:21 AM
D
Thanks Guys!

I think I get it now. It helped to separate these like you mentioned Ray, and think of them separately.

I created a new diagram, now both separate, and I have to say, I think my drawing skills are improving! This one is much clearer to make out, especially with them separate.

Let me know if you guys think I'm on track. Thanks!

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...RmV2TiGfE/edit

Old 07-27-15, 12:55 PM
D
@PJMAX This is the first I've tried Google Drawing, it is pretty niffy. I like how you can give access to others via a link, or assign permissions via google accounts.

Old 07-27-15, 01:46 PM
Yes that is correct and I'm beginning to like GD after seeing your last drawing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: