Missing meter seal

Old 07-26-15, 06:11 PM
Missing meter seal

POCO pulled meter. Forgot to install meter seal/hanging tag on the socket base when they reinstalled it.

Should I be concerned with this? I was going to zip tie the clasp and call it good .... or is their a liability issue here?

I suppose if someone was malicious enough to want to gain access to my meter socket to kill power to the house a small wire tag is not going to keep them out!

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-15, 06:28 PM
Yes, the meter seal is intended to prevent tampering, but not for reasons of bodily injury. The seal is simply to prevent tampering by those wishing to steal power. I'd call the POCO and tell them that their crew didn't seal the meter so you won't be blamed for a missing seal in the future.

Old 07-26-15, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
That's unusual. Sealing the meter is priority one with most of those guys.
I wouldn't be overly concerned. The meter guy will seal it on his next meter reading.

Old 07-26-15, 06:42 PM
The meter guy will seal it on his next meter reading.
A lot of areas, including mine, don't have meter readers any more. I still suggest calling the POCO.

Old 07-26-15, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Very true.

I carry seals so I usually don't think twice about it but a call to the PoCo should send someone out.

Old 07-26-15, 07:41 PM
i agree with Joe. Call the utility and request that the meter be sealed or YOU could be accused of stealing electricity.

Old 07-29-15, 05:24 PM
Nobody is going to suggest rigging the meter up with some copper pipes to get some free power?

Old 07-29-15, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Here we have lock rings. Short of a Sawzall or bootleg key the meter isn't coming off.

Old 07-30-15, 04:40 AM
Call the power company as soon as possible, getting the name of the person you talked to. Call again two days later if they didn't show up. Also inquire about what happened to the previous call(s).

If you feel the need to write, this is one of the few occasions where, to save your time, I think it is not necessary to proofread the letter. Include "RSVP" at the end of the letter.