Ufer and Grounding Rods

Old 07-26-15, 07:21 PM
Ufer and Grounding Rods

Hi Guys -

New member here and I wanted to ask a question. I've had some issues with the electric on my new house, let me break it down for better understanding.

1) We had copper running directly to the Ufer without any issues. Someone came and stole the copper so it failed the first inspection.

2) They ran 2 grounding rods (since a direct connection to the Ufer couldn't be made) and the inspector failed it again. He said it needed to go to the Ufer.

3) They removed the grounding rods and spliced together two pieces of copper to the Ufer. The inspection passed.

4) Our 3rd party inspector said he recommended adding one continues piece of copper to the two grounding rods. He then recommend that we splice the copper from the Ufer to the first grounding rod.

5) Please check out the pictures and let me know if this is sufficient and safe.

If you look at Pictures 1-6 that tells the story from start to finish

Name:  Picture 1.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  26.2 KB
Name:  Picture 2.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  32.4 KB
Name:  Picture 3.jpg
Views: 1580
Size:  49.8 KB
Name:  Picture 4.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  51.8 KB
Name:  Picture 5.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  51.6 KB
Name:  Picture 6.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  52.5 KB

Last edited by bigguynick; 07-26-15 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Added images so everyone can view.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-15, 07:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't see the pictures . The conductors to either the first rod or Ufer need to be continuous. If they need to be spliced they need to be cadwelded or irreversible crimps.

If the Ufer is in place it must be used so some concrete may need to be removed to expose it.

Old 07-26-15, 08:27 PM
Try from your computer when you have a chance - they're all there.

The copper to the first and second rods are continuous. The spliced Ufer is acorned to the first rod!

I just want to make sure it is sufficient and safe.

Old 07-26-15, 08:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The CEE from the Ufer needs to be continuous back to the panel, not the rod.

Old 07-26-15, 08:43 PM
Someone cut and stole the copper between the Ufer and the panel. There's no way for it to be continuous anymore.

We originally spliced copper from the panel to the Ufer. A third party inspector recommended at least one continuous path with the copper.

That's when we added the two rods so there was a continuous connection and acorned the spliced Ufer to the first rod.

Old 07-26-15, 11:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Post #2 has two methods to make the Ufer continuous.

Old 07-27-15, 04:55 AM
The ground rod(s) should have been left in place and left connected.

Buildings with reinforced concrete below grade and constructed after a certain date must have at least one concrete encased electrode included in the grounding electrode system.

Buildings with metal water pipes exiting underground must have at least one such pipe included in the grounding electrode system.

I am not sure whether a contnuous run of grounding electrode conductor is needed from the panel to the CEE if you already have a continuous run to a water pipe (within 5' of where it exits the building) or a continuous run to a ground rod.

Since your system passed inspection, all I would do for now is verify that all the necessary grounding electrodes and interconnections (bondings), continuous or not, exist.