What kind of power strip should I use?

Old 07-27-15, 01:58 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What kind of power strip should I use?

Hi all!

My understanding is that surge protectors/power strips ARE intended for permanent use--versus using an extension cord on an appliance, like a chest freezer, for example.

In my previous post, I showed how I installed an outlet a shade to high, so I would prefer (for a variety of reasons) to plug the freezer into a power strip. This would give me some slack in my freezer power cable... AND (if I get one with surge protection) a bit of protection in case there is a power spike (admittedly, this is more of a value-add as opposed to a requirement. I spent $150 for the freezer, so I wont cry too long if it did get fried someday)

I just want to buy something that wont catch fire on me

So, I just look for a regular old power strip and plug the freezer in it, so long as its UL listed? Something like this? Tripp-Lite Power Strip

Or is something like this more appropriate? Metal Power Strip

Thanks for any and all advice!
k

Old 07-27-15, 02:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The freezer instructions most likely say not to use with an extension cord. I am not sure UL considers a surge strip any different than a multi outlet strip. Extension cords are for temporary use of 90 days or less be definition .

Old 07-28-15, 10:43 AM
S
So all I need for the freezer is a UL listed power strip?

Old 07-28-15, 11:01 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What PCBoss wrote was a power strip may be considered a type of extension cord. Does the manufacturer say you can use an extension cord? You need to bite the bullet and install a receptacle closer to the freezer You can come off the one you just installed.

Old 07-28-15, 11:30 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Electrical codes stop at the switch or receptacle. Appliance manufacturers and consumer safety groups like UL/CSA provide guidelines or in some cases rules that professionals must follow, but there are no definitive authorities on what you as a homeowner can, should, shouldn't, or mustn't plug in once the circuit has been installed to code. Each of us has opinions based on experience as to what is best practice, but we can't answer your question authoritatively.

My opinion is that you should not use a plug strip or an extension cord with a freezer or any other "permanent" appliance. It should be plugged in directly to a quality receptacle. However I realize that is not always practical, and the next best thing would be to get the highest quality extension cord that is the shortest length required to reach the receptacle, and make sure it is installed such that it will not be pinched nor covered with stuff. If you do get a plug strip, get one of reasonable quality. The 99 cent store isn't right, but Monster Cable is a complete ripoff -- something with heavy AWG cord, a solid plug and quality receptacles that firmly grip the plug prongs. UL listing is a really good idea, so avoid things from online retailers that seem too cheap as they are likely Chinese knockoffs of brand names sold quasi-legally in the USA.

Old 07-28-15, 01:42 PM
S
aaaah. Now I get it

Yeah... I guess I'll drop that outlet...

Old 07-28-15, 02:54 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You don't need to drop it. Just come off it and add one below it near the floor..

Old 07-28-15, 04:43 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
So all I need for the freezer is a UL listed power strip?
IF you choose to use a power strip either here or somewhere else, it must be properly mounted per the power strip manufacturer's instructions and not left laying on the floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: