200AMP 240Volt panel multimeter reading don't seem right.

Old 07-28-15, 08:26 PM
200AMP 240Volt panel multimeter reading don't seem right.

I just got a new electric dryer and I wired everything up and the dryer throws an error code indicating not enough power for the heater. So I grabbed my multimeter and opened up the panel. When I test one pole with a multimeter I get 120v the other pole I get about 90v when I test between both poles I get no reading at all. These readings are from the main coming into my panel not a breaker. Is there anything you can recommend or does this sound like something my electric company needs to address?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-15, 08:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Start with the power company if those reading are coming into the main breaker.

Old 07-29-15, 06:50 AM
One of the two poles (or legs) at your measurement point is dead, possibly due to a problem in the service drop from the utility pole (no pun intended).

The 90 volts reading is from current leaking from the good leg through a water heater or other 240 volt appliance that is plugged in and switched on, and showing up at the other leg for that appliance which equates to the other leg systemwide downstream of the defect.

The nature of what remains of the current path is such that only a minute current is flowing from which you are able to make a 90 volt measurement, far too small to operate the appliance but capable of rising sufficiently to electrocute someone.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-29-15 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-30-15, 05:08 PM
Have you checked the main lugs where the wires come into the panel from the meter? One other thing to check, make sure you have the conductors from the dryer circuit correctly installed into the lugs on the breaker,I just ran into this with an AC condenser, same voltages as you saw.

Geo