Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Removed ceiling light to install ceiling fan, receptacle no longer works

Old 07-30-15, 09:06 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'd planned on installing a ceiling fan to replace a light fixture. My home is quite old (circa late 1940's) and I've no insight into how it's wired.

The original light fixture was a dual bulb ceiling light with 2 whites and 2 black leads that had respectively been connected with Marrettes to 2 wires in the outlet box. I say apparently because it's possible one other wire was involved but may have slipped out of the Marrette while I was removing the light fixture.

I found a problem with the ceiling fan I'd been intending to install so have to return it. I'd just capped the wires with Marrettes and then found that the sole receptacle in the room no longer functions.

I'd like to know:
1. What wiring can I do to allow the receptacle to function while I'm awaiting a replacement fan.
2. Given the wiring in the outlet box is not exactly as described in the "best case" ceiling fan installation instructions, how might I best wire the ceiling fan in once it arrives?

The outlet box is shown as below:

Name:  rps20150730_202906_387.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  31.3 KB

Using a non-contact voltage tester and the light switch off:
  • the black wires Marretted together on the reading left show hot
  • The fabricy sheathed wire next reading right with the black marrette shows hot
  • the white wire shows cold
  • the red wire shows cold

With the switch on, the red wire shows hot and no change in the other wires. I've not tested the outlet box with a voltage tester as yet. With the power on, the non-contact tester shows hot at the non-functioning receptacle and a voltage tester shows no voltage across the outlet.

As I recall, the lamp was wired to the fabricy sheathed wire with one wire from each side of the light fixture and the other wire from each side to the red wire in the receptacle. The white wire in the outlet box did not appear connected and was uncapped. This is the one I suspected may have pulled loose as I removed the light fixture but I could be wrong.

Any suggestions of how I can restore the receptacle in the short term and how I should connect the hot and neutral from the ceiling fan when it arrives. I've yet to test the outlet box for ground. The outlet box is in the ceiling of a second story of of a 1 1/2 story home so there is no access to the outlet.

Thanks for any suggestions. Let me know if you need more information.

-cam

Old 07-30-15, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,877 Upvotes on 3,475 Posts
You have two cables there. The three wire cable is carrying always live to the box on the black wire. The two wire cable feeds your receptacle(s). That black connection looks good and should stay connected.

The white wire from the three wire cable need to be connected to the white of the two wire cable. When you install your fan.... its white will connect to both those white wires.

The red wire is the switched hot that goes to the black of the fan.

Old 07-31-15, 08:16 AM
Received 183 Upvotes on 165 Posts
I assume ceiling fan boxes are required In Canada like they are here. Have you changed the box yet?

Old 07-31-15, 11:38 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks PJMax. Very helpful. Thanks as well, CasualJoe. Ceiling fan boxes are required by code here in Canada and I hadn't gotten to that point in the installation as yet. Once I found the fan was missing a panel of dip switches, I stopped.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: