Moving an outlet and converting it into a gfi

Old 07-31-15, 08:02 PM
Moving an outlet and converting it into a gfi

I have a working receptacle that gas 3 romex wires connecting to it. Set 1 is a 14/2 and set 2 is 14/3 and set 3 is 14/2. The only hot wires are the red and black from set 2. Here is how the outlet is wired. Set 1 white is connected to bottom left of receptacle and black is connected to red of set 2. Set 2 white is connected to top left rear of the receptacle and black is connected to the top right of the receptacle. Set 3 white is connected to the top left and black is connected to the bottom right. My goal is tone remove this outlet and install a gfi about 3 feet higher.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-15, 09:21 PM
Group Moderator
3 romex wires
Cabels not wires. Wires are individual conductors.
The only hot wires are the red and black from set 2.
That sounds like you used a non contact tester. A non contact tester can't be used to determine if a wire is hot only that it might be. Often it is a false positive. You need to use a multimeter, preferably analog. Note: Receptacles have no top or bottom or left or right. They have brass screws and silver screws.
My goal is tone remove this outlet and install a gfi about 3 feet higher.
Is half the receptacle controlled by a switch? If so do you want to continue using that switch? Would you be okay with leaving the receptacle where it is and just adding a receptacle above it? Why do you need the higher receptacle?

Old 07-31-15, 09:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the tab on the hot side of receptacle removed? I think half of the outlet is always hot and the other half switched. Can you confirm this?

Name:  receptacletab.JPG
Views: 540
Size:  27.5 KB

Old 08-01-15, 06:03 AM
The tabs are still whole. Half the receptacle is controled by a switch. The reason I was going to move the outlet is I am remodeling my kitchen and I will be placing a run of cabinets there. The reason I was using a gfi is because I thought that was code for the kitchen.

Old 08-01-15, 06:07 AM
Also I did use a multimeter to test the red and black wires. I tested them in parallel and it was 240v

Old 08-01-15, 08:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the tab is still in place the receptacle is not half switched.

The splice will need to remain accessible. The cabinet cannot cover the splice.

Old 08-01-15, 08:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Before saying how to move this we need to confirm the wiring.
I said I thought it was half switched, belay that. It looks like it's a multi-wire branch circuit.
See if you can find the 2 breakers that control the circuit.
Breakers will be tied with a handle, or separate locations in panel if older home.