Quick EMT elbow question

Old 08-09-15, 02:46 AM
Quick EMT elbow question

Thank you for all the wonderful advice given to other DIY! It's wonderful to see a community of knowledge helping people learn and understand for their home projects!

Hopefully I'll be able to fall in the same category. I am installing a 1/2 inch EMT conduit around the exterior of my home to run to a mini split AC system. I have everything mapped out and went to purchase the items today (home depot) but ran into a hurdle I didn't want to overcome haphazardly.

Ultimately I am going to have a 90 degree bend in my EMT line as I curve around the house but want to use a elbow to go around the corner so the EMT line is hugging the house. While I was able to find raintight couplers and connectors, I wasn't able to find a 90 degree elbow piece that met the raintight requirement I'm looking for (potentially wet location).

My question is simple in if I were to use 1/2 inch EMT with compression raintight components, how can I connect the 90 degree angle and ensure it's code and safe for a wet location, or are there specific elbows made for wet locations?

The 90 degree bend I'm looking for is here mostly for the cosmetic value (a tight hug around the house.) I cannot for the life of me find a raintight type connection and while in the store tried my darndest to screw one of the compression fittings into the grooves in the elbow to no avail.

Thank you in advance for your knowledge!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-15, 05:29 AM
Use a threaded conduit LB ,thread the compression connectors into it,similar to this.
Red Dot ALB-6 Type LB Conduit Body; 2 Inch, Threaded, Die-Cast Aluminum - Crescent Electric Supply Company
Geo

Old 08-09-15, 06:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may be relegated to using EMT by authority, but why not use PVC? Same fittings, will be a little more water tight, but you will need to use THWN wire anyway since conduit itself is considered "leakable".

Last edited by ray2047; 08-09-15 at 09:17 AM. Reason: THHN>THWN
Old 08-09-15, 11:40 AM
I cannot for the life of me find a raintight type connection and while in the store tried my darndest to screw one of the compression fittings into the grooves in the elbow to no avail.
The fitting you linked to is a pulling elbow and will work fine with two 1/2" EMT compression connectors without the locknuts. If you couldn't get the connectors to screw into the fitting, there is something wrong with that particular fitting. Sometimes the box store branded fittings aren't all they should be. Try another one or get a name brand fitting from a supply house. My preference would be to use an LB condulet fitting like Geo linked to.

Old 08-10-15, 07:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
All conduits leak and collect some water from condensation. Use wire rated for water (e.g. THWN-2) and duct sealant putty where the conduit enters and exits a conditioned space, and beyond that don't spend too much time worrying about it. I agree with the others that I would use an LB fitting in the case; I don't really care for pull elbows.