Problem With Certain Lights And Outlets In House.

Old 08-09-15, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Problem With Certain Lights And Outlets In House.

I had an electrical update done by a organization that help low income folks like myself. They updated the electric panel and put in some outlets with grounds. After they did the work I have been having problems with my Kitchen light not working (just the light) ... a ceiling fan in my living room, an outlet in my living room and a porch light. I tried to get help for it from the place that did the work but the guy that did the work is MIA ... For a while it would work then stop then work again, but now it is not working at all. Today I plugged something into a CFGI or what ever it is called outlet that was installed in the kitchen. When I press and hold the plug in the outlet the kitchen light comes on when I let go it goes out. Any idea how I can get the light, fans, and outlet to work again?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-15, 12:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How comfortable do you feel working on electrical systems? That will be the key. It is possible you have loose connections in the breaker panel, and/or the electrician employed the use of the stab back feature on receptacles and switches, which have proven to be inferior. If you want to tackle some investigation, let us know. Otherwise, sadly, you will need a real electrician to do it for you.

Old 08-09-15, 01:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Today I plugged something into a CFGI or what ever it is called outlet that was installed in the kitchen. When I press and hold the plug in the outlet the kitchen light comes on when I let go it goes out.
The counter top GFCI receptacles should not be on the lighting circuit. Without knowing what he did it may be grandfathered but under current code it is a violation.

You need to: Turn off the breaker that controls the GFCI receptacle and pull the receptacle out. Tell us about all the wires and connections in the box.

Old 08-09-15, 02:20 PM
Arrow Will Put Up a Photo

As soon as I have a chance I will open it up and take some pictures and post them. Is there a way to check for a loose connection in the breaker panel???

Old 08-09-15, 03:28 PM
Arrow Here's some pictures

I turned off the power in the kitchen and opened the outlet ... I don't know if you can see well in the photos. But when I put it back together and tighten the screws holding it as tight as they would go when I turned the power back on the lights and fans and outlets are working again. For how long ... I don't know.:NO NO NO:

Attached Images   
Old 08-09-15, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
The receptacle shown is not GFCI. Is it protected by a GFCI somewhere else? If not then it needs to be replaced with a GFCI. There is a shadow so I can't see. Is there a ground wire connected?

Old 08-09-15, 07:09 PM
Arrow That's what is says on the cover plate

It says that on the cover plate ... there is another one in the kitchen. I think the copper wire on the bottom is the ground. I know it is hard to see in the picture. I tried to get a better picture of the inside but I could not. That outlet has to be linked some how to the lights, fans, and outlet regaining power.

Old 08-09-15, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
It is probably fixed which was your immediate problem but you need to consider moving lights and fan to another circuit.

Old 08-09-15, 07:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The sticker on the cover plate says "GFCI Protected", which means somewhere upline there is a GFCI receptacle, or a GFCI breaker for the entire circuit. It is possible you have a through cable that has a bad connection under a bcap in the box behind the receptacle. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 08-10-15, 07:54 AM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
I
had an electrical update done by a organization that help low income folks like myself. They updated the electric panel and put in some outlets with grounds.
Is this organization a licensed electrical contractor or did they hire licensed contractors? Was there a permit for the work performed and was it inspected?

Old 08-10-15, 09:00 AM
Yes it was a licensed contractor and it was inspected after he was done, how well I don't know because the inspector worked with the contractor before so I don't know how much attention to details he paid.

Old 08-10-15, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Mistakes seem to have been made like the lights on the same circuit as the counter top receptacles but nothing dangerous and nothing you wouldn't find in an old house.

Old 08-10-15, 11:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
All of this sounds common for an older house. The work was probably done as a repair or minor remodel on the permit which does not require a complete upgrade to modern code. The problem sounds like a loose connection, which you have hopefully now corrected.

Old 08-10-15, 11:59 AM
Arrow Me too

I too hope it is corrected, but if it happens again that will be the first place to look.