receptacle with raised screw hole in middle

Old 08-10-15, 01:07 PM
receptacle with raised screw hole in middle

Is there a special face plate to fit over this? I have some extra face plates but they all have a raised portion in the middle to fit a receptacle that has a "valley" btw the outlets. What can I use for this?
Thanks
Name:  receptacle.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  21.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-15, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
That is a chunk of an old plate that has broken off. You should be able to pop it out from the side with a knife or a flat screw driver.

Back in the day, plates were not the unbreakable kind like we have today. The old ones I always tightened until the snap, then give them another 1/4 turn.

Old 08-10-15, 01:41 PM
That receptacle appears to have several coats of paint on it from a sloppy painter who couldn't be bothered with a little bit of tape. I would replace it with a new one. If you do replace it use a quality one, not from the "three for a dollar" bin.

Old 08-10-15, 06:56 PM
I agree with the other posts. Go ahead and replace that receptacle. It will not cost much at all and is not difficult. I would recommend Pass and Seymour plates. They really are unbreakable.

Old 08-10-15, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
I was surprised the last time I was in the Depot. The baked enamel metal plates were less expensive than the unbreakable nylon ones.