Electrical panel & subpanel - location and framing

Old 08-10-15, 03:47 PM
Electrical panel & subpanel - location and framing

We've recently started our basement renovation. As discussed with the building inspector, we're putting up 2" rigid foam insulation and following it with standard 2x4 framing.

We would like to add a subpanel for this renovation and future expansions. Currently, the panel sits on a 1/2" board. There's about 21" to the right before the wall turns and then bumps out. Just to the left and above the panel is where our dryer vent exits the house. If we were to put the subpanel to the left of the existing panel, the dryer vent would be directly above it. We're thinking it's best to put the subpanel to the right of the existing panel (between the panel and the corner wall in the 21" space). Is this allowable as far as clearance is concerned (there will be no permanent structures within a few feet to the left of the panel)? Other options?

Assuming we can place it near the existing panel, once the subpanel is up and as we continue to finish the wall, what's the best way to finish around both? My thought is to rigid foam up to the 1/2" board, then build one window "frame" around both panels and place a cabinet door of sorts in front of both (as the framing will stick out further than the panels which will be recessed in the wall). Does this make sense? Or should we have the rigid foam tight up against the panel and make the "frame" as small as possible (this would mean some foam would be left exposed behind the "cabinet door" (likely around the subpanel). I'm concerned it wouldn't be considered fire rated if we can't completely cover that foam. Thoughts?

Pictures attached for reference. We're in the process of moving stuff around down there, so it was difficult to get a glamour shot head on.

Name:  IMG_3103.jpg
Views: 1872
Size:  31.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3104.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  28.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3105.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  31.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-15, 03:45 AM
Can anyone recommend another (maybe more active?) forum where I could post this for advice? Was hoping to get input before the weekend.

Old 08-13-15, 04:35 AM
Group Moderator
Moved to electrical. .

Old 08-13-15, 07:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would frame the 2x4 wall right around the panel. It is 14.5" wide to fit between a stud bay. Have the power company out to pull the meter for 10 minutes, unscrew the panel from the concrete, slide it out 2" and hang it 1/2" proud in the 2x4 wall using the side mounting slots. Then you can flush finish it to the drywall. Once the panel is moved to the 2x4 framing, you can sawzall out the plywood and slip pieces of 2" foam behind it to complete the insulation/vapor block.

The sub can be in a bay to the right of the main panel as long as you have 30" wide by 36" deep total clearance in front of the panels. The panels do not need to be centered in the 30". A good rule of thumb is that you should be able to slide a refrigerator box up to the face of the panel without hitting an obstruction. The sub cannot be in the bay directly to the right of the main because the flush covers won't fit, but you can double or offset your next stud 3" or so to make them very nearly adjacent.

Old 08-13-15, 05:16 PM
Thanks so much for your advice (and to ray2047 for getting me to the right forum)! It didn't occur to me that the panel could be unscrewed, moved out and then secured at the sides.