RV 30amp Outdoor Circuit

Old 08-11-15, 08:00 PM
RV 30amp Outdoor Circuit

I have an existing outdoor disconnect for a previous Hot Tub I had with what appears to be #6 wiring for a 30amp dual pole gfi breaker. Looking to install a 30amp circuit for my RV and ran 10/2 wiring in conduit about 70ft out to a post in the yard. I'm replacing the dual pole 30amp breaker with a single. Question: Can I use the existing #6 thick wire to the disconnect box and connect the 10/2 from there.. or do I need to run the 10/2 back to the breaker box? Getting the existing wires out and running the 10/2 into the house is going to be a pain.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-15, 08:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The larger wires can stay.

What kind of cable was the 10-2?

Old 08-11-15, 08:28 PM
Excellent!! Type NM-B with ground... is that what you're asking?

Old 08-11-15, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
Type NM-B with ground... is that what you're asking?
That is only okay if the disconnect is mounted on the house and the NM-b comes in to the back.
Looking to install a 30amp circuit for my RV and ran 10/2 wiring in conduit about 70ft out to a post in the yard.
If cable it must be UF but best practice would be to use individual conductors such as THWN. Cable is harder to pull.

Old 08-12-15, 06:10 AM
Type NM-B with ground... is that what you're asking?
Type NM-B cable is for indoor dry locations only and cannot be used outside the house. All outdoor conduit is considered wet locations whether above or below grade.

ran 10/2 wiring in conduit about 70ft out to a post in the yard.
That will need to be replaced preferably with Type THHN/THWN individual conductors.

Old 08-12-15, 07:37 AM
For now you can keep the #6 wiring to a junction box and extend the #10 UF (cable) or THWN (individual wires) underground from there. Use a 30 amp breaker at the panel for the #6 line.

At a later date you can put a subpanel where the #6 ends outside, add more breakered circuits from there, and up the rating of the panel breaker for the #6 line.