Air Conditioning issues

Old 08-12-15, 08:52 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioning issues

I could really use some help from someone who knows what they are talking about. Yesterday my AC stopped working in my apartment and the maintenance crew for my apartment managers have been working on it instead of an actual professional electrician. Basically the fan motor stopped working, you could hear the relay in the thermostat click on and off but the fan appeared to be dead. The guy working on it was trying to force it to come on by "straight wiring it" (whatever that means) and from what I could see he was plugging the neutral wire into the ground circuit. It didn't come on so he said the motor had to be replaced tomorrow and left. I myself left the house for 30min and when I came back the whole house had that distinct smell of burnt electronics and the blower was running. I shut off the breaker and let them know about it. Now they can get the motor to come on by wiring the neutral wire into the ground. One of them said that it's perfectly safe to leave it like that and it doesn't sound right to me. They are supposed to be replacing the relay and I just say the unit spark and shoot a burning piece of wire off the panel. I'm downright scared of this thing right now and I could really use some feedback ASAP. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-15, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 73 Posts
If this is a central air unit it does not have a neutral. They are straight 240 volt units.

Old 08-12-15, 11:13 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
This would typically be the domain of an HVAC technician, not an electrician. It is also reasonable for a handyman or maintenance person to work on it given that it doesn't sound like a problem with the refrigerant loop or compressor. Your description of ground and neutrals doesn't really make sense, so I don't think you're accurately describing what you saw them do or how it is connected now. Replacement of blowers and/or relays on A/C units is a common thing, so their explanation sounds reasonable. I would probably leave the unit off until the new part(s) are installed and the case is closed up.