Breaker box problem.

Old 08-13-15, 03:18 AM
Breaker box problem.

My fixer upper flooded and lost power. I ended up taking the old breakers out (aside from main breaker), cleaned the box and put new breakers in. Half the house has power now. All the breakers on the left work, but the very top right breaker keeps tripping and none of the other breakers on the right work. Is the problem that single breaker (i.e. loose wire, etc.), main breaker or something else? And if I need an electrician for this problem about how much will it run me?

Also, this was all done months ago and recently I refinished the hard wood floors. While using the drum sander I tripped two different breakers at separate times while the only power the house was using was the drum sander and a refrigerator. After turning everything off and flipping the breakers back those two rooms did not get power back.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-15, 04:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You say "flooded", does that mean the breaker panel was under water?? I doubt cleaning it will help. The main as well as sub breakers are not waterproof and could have residual water in them or resultant rust/corrosion inside them. I would plan on having it all changed out. That is a lot of water

Old 08-13-15, 07:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This sounds like it could be a main breaker failure, possibly burning out the bus bar. Have you inspected inside the box recently? Electrical authorities require that any submerged equipment is replaced due to internal corrosion, so the rest of the panel and the main should probably be removed anyway. Can you post some pictures of the inside of the main panel?

Old 08-13-15, 09:52 AM
All components that were under water, including wiring, needs to be replaced. The possible exception would possibly be plastic wall boxes.

Old 08-14-15, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the responses. The basement was in a couple feet of water, but the box was not submerged. The burst pipe was in the area of the box. So the box did get pretty wet. I can try and get some pictures.

Old 08-14-15, 10:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Modern panel boxes are arranged ABBA to top bottom, not in a left right arrangement on the hot legs. Pushmatic uses a left right IIRC.