Trace the source of a dead light fixture

Old 08-14-15, 03:37 AM
Trace the source of a dead light fixture

Hi, I have a situation where I have a switch that controls the lighting in some display cabinets in my kitchen. The switch had worked but then I didn't use the light for some time, now I tried to turn on the lights and they do not work. I tested and there is no current found at the light fixture. I opened up the outlet located directly below the light fixture and first off found that it was being feed by 2 circuits from the panel so I needed to turn off two circuits to access the outlet. I then found several wires being feed into and out of the outlet. I wasn't sure how to proceed at this point so I closed up the outlet. My question is what do I need to do to determine why the switch no longer controls the light fixture and what do I need to do to re-establish current to the dead light fixture ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-15, 04:03 AM
Temporarily Suspended
You have to test the switch itself. The outlet may not be involved. You should have juice on one of the switch terminals all the time & juice on both terminals when you flip the switch.

Old 08-14-15, 04:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In addition, power to the lights may or may not be coming from that receptacle.

Old 08-14-15, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
I tested and there is no current found at the light fixture.
If you used a non contact tester you have not really tested. They are not accurate enough for real testing. The receptacle box is probably a red herring*. Open the switch box and bypass the switch by connecting the two switch wires together with a wire nut. Does the light now work when you turn the breaker back on.

*Note: By code lighting should not be on the same circuit as the receptacles. First you need to find the circuit for the display lights if this was done to code. It could be a tripped breaker. Often breakers don't look tripped. You have to turn then off then on. The display lights may be on the kitchen lighting circuit.