Toggle/Rocker switch to 240v air pump? ( fish tank )

Old 08-16-15, 03:00 PM
Toggle/Rocker switch to 240v air pump? ( fish tank )

Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  22.7 KB

Okay, so today I installed a fish tank for the kids and spent about 2 hours wire managing the heater, water filter, air pump and pump tubing.. Great fun.

However, the pump is not ideal for the quietness of it all, but the kids love the fish lifting up and blowing bubbles.

My thoughts are to install a toggle switch on the side of the cabinet, so the pump can be stopped without having to unplug it from the multi-socket.

Now though, with absolutely no experience in wiring, I want to do it myself. So I guess I need to know which type of toggle switch to get, as well as if it's a very good idea to toggle switch a 240v accessory?

Thanks for reading guys, and hopefully I haven't annoyed anyone with my lack-of-experience.

EDIT: Link to pump http://www.boyuaquarium.com/En_Artic...ArticleID=1432

Last edited by Daniel Watson; 08-16-15 at 04:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-15, 03:59 PM
Name:  TOGGLE.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  11.3 KB

So just in-case my words don't make sense, this is what I want to achieve.

Old 08-16-15, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Just use a plug in switch. Below is U.S not UK but you should be able to find similar ones for your mains.

Name:  US_SwitchAdapterPlug.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  4.6 KB Name:  41gCDoU+joL._SX300_.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  9.1 KB

Old 08-16-15, 04:32 PM
This would be a great alternative to what I want to achieve, but this still keeps me dangling over the back of the sofa to switch it on/off, I'd prefer to install a switch on the side of the cabinet if I can.

It's 1.2W 220-240v.

Surely this can be achieved?

Old 08-16-15, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
The second switch I show could be mounted with double sided tape to the cabinet. Your plug goes into the top of the switches plug and then the switch is on a four or five foot cord so you can place it where you want it.

Old 08-16-15, 04:43 PM
So are you telling me an easy way of achieving what I want, or are you telling me this is the most practicable option? I really do have OCD when it comes to wire management.

I'm in the mindset that getting a light-switch, installing it to the cabinet.

Cut the wire, connect to the switch, then I have a nice toggle for the pump on the side of the cabinet.

What I don't want to do is have a huge plug mounted to the side of the cabinet with double sided tape ( bare in mind, UK plugs are huge ) when I didn't have to go down that route.

Old 08-16-15, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
In a novel style, reasonable design and structure, small and exquisite. Low noise, high efficiency and low energy consumption. Reliable function and long operational life span.
I just love those translated feature descriptions.

I would use an inline rocker switch like that in the picture.

Name:  inline.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  33.8 KB

Old 08-16-15, 04:55 PM
Haha yes, the product description doesn't hold any truths! It's the loudest, most obnoxious thing to mount and listen to. With next to no power!

So this inline rocker switch is great, would I literally just split the cable, open the rocker switch and connect + to + and - to -? And could I do this with a simple light switch, such as this?

Nexus 1-Gang 2-Way 10AX Brushed Stainless Steel Single Light Switch | Departments | DIY at B&Q

Old 08-16-15, 06:02 PM
How is a single pole switch going to kill the power on both legs?

Old 08-16-15, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
Joe... their power (UK) is 230v to neutral. So they only have one hot wire. They don't have 120/240 like we do.

The switch you show gets installed in a box. The switch I'm showing is completely self contained.

Old 08-16-15, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Assuming UK standards are similar to the US all splices should be in a box/enclosure. This box should be one that is designed for the switch you posted. So in order to do what you want, you will likely have to have a big-ish box on the side of your cabinet for the switch and and other splices. This all would be for safety.

This is why the others are suggesting alternatives to your rocker switch idea. It would give you the neatest, cleanest install.

I hope you do not have any live fish in there because they will likely die with the pump turned off.

Old 08-17-15, 03:44 AM
I was thinking of cutting into the cabinet to achieve a flush finish with the switch. Then the wires feeding into the enclosure.

Also, the pump only acts as a way to create bubbles from the accessory fish in the bottom of the tank. It doesn't serve any other purpose.

The water filter & heater will remain on 24/7.

Old 08-17-15, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
Then the wires feeding into the enclosure.
The enclosure likely needs to be made to hold electrical wires and splices, it can't be just the tank cabinet. In the US it is called "designed for the purpose".

Also, the pump only acts as a way to create bubbles from the accessory fish in the bottom of the tank. It doesn't serve any other purpose.
The pump is what feeds Oxygen into the water. Without it any fish could suffocate and die.

Old 08-17-15, 06:44 AM
The water filter oxygenates the water, the minimum requirements for the tank are on 24/7 and the pump just feeds the accessories. I could remove it completely and there would be no issue for the fish.

However, I went with an inline-rocker switch. It just contained a neutral & live wire.

I too, bought a toggle light switch to see if it was going to be an option or not.

Old 08-17-15, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
The water filter oxygenates the water
Ok good, I just wanted to make sure you were not going to have fish sticks for dinner.