wiring for porch fans

Old 08-17-15, 12:01 PM
wiring for porch fans

I want to run some wire to install 2 new fans for my porch i am renovating. I was trying to avoid adding a separate breaker for my porch so i have an outlet currently tied in to my living room that runs in the crawl space. The breaker is 15 amp but the wiring that was used is 12-2 (i know this because my father-in-law rewired our living room when we gutted it and redid all the drywall). I cant confirm that all of the wiring in the living room is 12-2, just the stuff we replaced. I've been seeing that you are supposed to use 12ga with a 20 amp and 14ga with a 15 amp breaker. So that's issue one. Issue 2 is if i add the 2 fans outside using the outlet i currently have tied into the living room, what size wire should i use, 12ga or 14ga? I already know i need to use the grey wire for outside. I imagine best case scenario would be to just get a new breaker installed, but obviously i was trying to avoid that. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-15, 12:24 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

12 ga on a 15 amp circuit is allowed. IMO, it's a bad idea because it will cause some to assume the circuit is 20 amp.

That said, the issue I see here is I believe your fans may need to be on a GFCI.

Hang tight for the pros with more definitive responses.

Old 08-17-15, 12:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can use either #14 or #12 with a 15A breaker -- mixing sizes screams DIY job, but it's legal. If this porch ceiling is fully enclosed and "normally dry" (term used in the code), you can use standard indoor NM cable and fan-rated boxes (NOT standard ceiling boxes!). If it is subject to occasional water exposure, you should use UF cable, boxes and fixtures approved for use in "damp" or "wet" locations. GFCI would not be required unless there is a receptacle.

Old 08-17-15, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the reply. The porch will not be fully enclosed so i was going to use the UF cable. I also purchased outdoor fans and outdoor boxes.

That makes me feel better being on the right track.