Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can't install GFI receptacle. Green light on and no power.

Old 08-20-15, 09:46 AM

Hi,

I am replacing an outlet with a new one with two outlets, test and reset button from Home Depot. I connect the two white wires on one side and the two black on the other side. I also connected the ground wire. The green light light up and no power to the appliance. I swap sides between the black and white wires and still the green light lit up and no power. I swap the black wires from top and bottom connect and no power. What am I do wrong? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-15, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
Sound like you are not connecting power in to the line side. Using a multimeter or test light but not a none contact tester determine which cable is hot and connect it to line side. Be sure both the black and white of the power in (hot) cable goes to the line side.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-08-16 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-20-15, 03:42 PM
As Ray points out, you MUST have the power supply connected to the LINE terminals for this to work. You must also firmly press the RESET button after you apply power. There is also the possibility that a brand new GFCI receptacle is defective.

Old 08-20-15, 03:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The instructions should tell you what the light means. Some signal loss of power, others are that power is present.

Old 01-08-16, 08:41 AM
Gfci loan and line reversed

I have a simple solution. After my initial failed installation, i removed it and realized my lines needed to be reversed. When I compared the old to the new leviton gfci I noticed the load and line positions were reversed. I had installed the new one assuming the positions were the same. After reinstalling the new one with the lines reversed, it worked! Funny thing was that little green light was on regardless of whether the recep works or not. It is green now and it works. The only time it was off was when it was in test mode. In installed leviton 20 amp model gftr2-kt.

Old 01-08-16, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
installed leviton 20 amp mode
Normally no need for a 20 amp GFCI even on a 20 amp circuit.
I noticed the load and line positions were reversed.
Wasn't there yellow tape across the load side of the receptacle?

Old 01-08-16, 07:42 PM
What am I do wrong?
You didn't read and follow the instructions.