Connecting exhaust fan above shower

Old 08-22-15, 05:03 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connecting exhaust fan above shower

Hello,

I'm installing an exhaust fan above a shower in a new bathroom I'm building. There's a note in the manual that if installed above a shower it must tie into a GFCI protected branch circuit. I'm planning on having a dedicated circuit for the GFCI outlet next to the sink. Can I tie the exhaust fan (and only the exhaust fan) into this circuit via the GFCI's LOAD screws? I can't remember whether not not the GFCI outlet net to the sink has to be by itself. If it matters the type of fan and watt rating is below.

UPDATE: I'm also installing lights above the shower and apparently they have the same GFCI requirement. So perhaps I'll just do the GFCI at the breaker for the two lights and the fan. Is this doable?

Thanks!

Old 08-22-15, 05:13 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I'm planning on having a dedicated circuit for the GFCI outlet next to the sink. Can I tie the exhaust fan (and only the exhaust fan) into this circuit via the GFCI's LOAD screws?
As long as the new 20 amp circuit serves only this one bathroom, yes, you can power the fan from the load side of the GFCI receptacle. The easier and more common way would be to not put the fan over the footprint of the shower.

Old 08-22-15, 05:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I have never seen lights that required gfi protection over a shower or tub.

Old 08-22-15, 05:39 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pcboss: I have never seen lights that required gfi protection over a shower or tub.
You're correct, I wen't back and double checked the box and noticed I misread the NEC comment.

CasualJoe: The easier and more common way would be to not put the fan over the footprint of the shower.
It's not an option, hard to explain why but it's simply not an option to move it out of the shower. It's a large shower with a high ceiling so its' ok with me.

Other thoughts, I'm going to need two circuits in the bathroom regardless so I'll just plan on making the fan and lights on the same GFCI breaker\circuit.

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-23-15, 08:13 AM
A
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
It is aerodynamically advantageous to put the exhaust fan above a shower (or near the toilet at about tank level).

It does not hurt to put the exhaust fan on a ground fault circuit interrupter protected line.

Old 08-23-15, 09:57 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
It does not hurt to put the exhaust fan on a ground fault circuit interrupter protected line.
In the OP's case, a GFCI protected circuit is a requirement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: