Circuit breakers are off, but meter still running

Old 08-23-15, 07:45 PM
Circuit breakers are off, but meter still running

Members location is Puerto Rico.

I purchased a house a few weeks ago and got the power connected about a week ago. The house has been empty with no appliances at all and I leave all the circuit breakers off when I leave. Usually I just turn on 1 breaker for some lights and to charge my cell phone while I'm working around the house and then turn it off when done.

The meter is digital but the display is barely visible (LCD is very dim). I can check online with a few days delay. I decided to check and to my surprise there's a 82 kw usage for 3 days at a supposed rate of 27 kw a day. I immediately called the power company and they said that might be a deviation to ground. The outside main breaker is was on during the week. Since then (this past Saturday), I have turned off the main breaker beside the meter and haven't been able to get any reading online.

Is this possible even when there's no power inside the house? If so how can I test where is this deviation at?

This is my digital electric meter. The power company reads them remotely. What I can make out is 20...
Name:  20150822_174854 - Copy.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  19.0 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 08-23-15 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-15, 08:12 PM
Group Moderator
Does your house share a common wall with another house?

Old 08-23-15, 08:31 PM
The previous owners constructed a wall all around the property with light posts around. I haven't had the chance to test them out. I checked the roof and didn't see any evidence of circuit breakers for console AC units.

Old 08-23-15, 09:59 PM
Group Moderator
By shared wall I meant like a row house:
One of a series of houses, often of similar or identical design, situated side by side and joined by common walls. American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English .

Old 08-23-15, 10:32 PM
kw, more properly kW means kiloWatt or 1,000 watts, a measure of instantaneous power. Your meter accumulates kWh or kilo-Watt-hours which is a measurement of energy consumed over a period of time.

There are many things within a home that consume silently consume power without any noticeable benefit. Things like instant-on television sets, computers that are not unplugged from the wall receptacle, especially computers that are left in "sleep: mode rather than powered down. Personal DVRs supplied by the satellite or cable TV provider are notorious for using power when ostensibly "shut down" because they never really shut down. Set-top boxes for the cable or satellite TV service as well as any "wall wart" power supply such as cell phone chargers or any computer network device such as a modem or router. Even GFCI receptacles will take a tiny amount of power continuously as will a kitchen range or any appliance with a clock. The receivers for a wireless remote controlled switch is always using a tiny amount of power as well. My point is that a typical home might have a hundred or more such devices and while each and every one only uses an infinitesimal amount of power when all are added together it could be a significant amount over the period of a month.

This always on, but rarely considered, power drain is often called "vampire power" because the usage is rarely seen as being useful in any way. If your other loads are low then the vampire power may account for a significant percentage of your electricity consumption. In my own case it I think it is at least 20% of my total billing and may be higher.