Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Older wiring: replacing two prong outlets and ceiling fan?

Old 08-26-15, 12:18 AM

Ok so i want to replace my two prong outlets in my condo, but there is no ground wire... I was told that i have to use a gfci outlet by one person and another said that i can connect the ground wire to the metal box with a screw... Which one is correct according to code (Culver city , California). Also with the GFCI outlets will they just random switch off? i have never used them an di only worry if ihave my desktop computer plugged into one id ont want it to trigger and just turn my computer off randomly.

Same thing for the ceiling fan, i have a light fixture there and want to install a ceiling fan, what do i do with the ground wire for the ceiling fan?

Im on the top floor and have attic access would it be easy to install Ceiling lights? right now i just have one light int he kitchen and one in the dinning room. the rest will be floor lamps. Curious if it would be easy to have an electrician run wires so i can have a light for the bed room and living room. I dont really have the extra money to pay a lot.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-15, 01:58 AM
Group Moderator
I was told that i have to use a gfci outlet by one person and another said that i can connect the ground wire to the metal box with a screw
GFCI is always an option. It doesn't provide a ground but increases personal safety and allows the use of 3 prong plugs. Grounding to the box would only work if the box has an adequate ground. The method of wiring determines that. Continuous metal conduit would be a satisfactory grounding method. Old style BX cable without a bonding strap would not be. The box would not be grounded if NM cable with no ground was used.
Im on the top floor and have attic access would it be easy to install Ceiling lights?
Usually yes.

Old 08-26-15, 11:41 AM
the Continuous metal conduit is it expensive to have someone install?

Old 08-26-15, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
Probably - it would require removing sheetrock or whatever other wall covering you have.

Old 08-26-15, 12:22 PM
In an already constructed building? Yes! In fact, it is almost impossible to completely re-wire with conduit without first removing ALL the interior wall coverings.

Adding flexible metal conduit is often done in existing buildings although it MUST be carefully done to ensure the equipment grounding function. More often than not a separate green-insulated conductor is pulled with the power wires through flexible conduit.

Old 08-26-15, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
That is not what I wrote in my first post. Please reread. I was writing about existing conditions that might cause the receptacle box to be grounded. No one here would suggest you retrofit with metal conduit just to have a grounded box. That would be as uninformed as the idea you can ground a receptacle just by connecting it to a metal box. In my post I was explaining the limited but less than likely reasons grounding to the existing receptacle box would work.

If the box is not grounded you can run wires from the supplying breaker panel to each receptacle you want to ground. Usually though it is just as easy to run a new cable with ground.

Last edited by ray2047; 08-26-15 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-26-15, 12:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I was told that i have to use a gfci outlet by one person and another said that i can connect the ground wire to the metal box with a screw... Which one is correct according to code
In short, both need to be done to correctly improve safety on an ungrounded circuit.

Also with the GFCI outlets will they just random switch off?
Generally no. They switch off when they detect a shock hazard in progress (e.g. you touched a hot wire). There are sometimes false trips due to RF noise or something similar, but those in my experience are pretty rare and virtually non-existent with quality brand-name GFCI devices.