Under Cabinet Lighting Electrical

Old 08-26-15, 06:47 AM
Question Under Cabinet Lighting Electrical

Hello All -

I ran 14/2 romex powered from my switch for my under cabinet lighting. I wanted to use the LED strip lighting. I already purchased the LED transformer but was wondering how I would jump between cabinet bays? I ran romex from bay to bay in the wall (per code). Has anyone had experience running LED strip lighting this way? I have attached a photo highlighting all of the stub out locations of my romex.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Name:  Kitchen Under Cabinet Lights.jpg
Views: 7718
Size:  26.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-15, 07:10 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

If by LED strips you mean similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers.../dp/B002Q8V8DM Then you need to run the strips with the 12vdc off the transformer.

I have installed a few of these and the best option is to mount a switched receptacle(s) off of a wall switch some place like a crawl space, basement, or inside a cabinet. Then we use low voltage wire such as 18/2 thermostat wire for the wiring inside the wall. The advantage is you only have 2 wires as you do not need a ground, and the smaller cable is easier to hide.

I would suggest installing a receptacle off the switch near the first point of where the strip lighting will be, or in a basement as mentioned. You can still use the Romex for your wiring, you will just need to splice the LED strip connectors to it. Another hint is you only need 3 locations on your wiring as you only have 3 continuous "bays" of lights.

Old 08-26-15, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the reply. The lights you shared with that Amazon link is what I am looking to use. Unfortunately, the walls are closed now and there is no basement or crawl space. I originally wanted to run 18/2 from bay to bay and leaving the first connection for the transformer. The inspector said that I couldn't do that and had to use the romex.

If I hard wire the transformer in the cabinet then run the strip lights could I use the LED connectors to connect to the 14/2 in my wall to jump bays?

Old 08-26-15, 07:38 AM
Group Moderator
If I hard wire the transformer in the cabinet then run the strip lights could I use the LED connectors to connect to the 14/2 in my wall to jump bays?
That is correct, but it would likely be easier to just install a receptacle and plug in the transformer, unless it is designed to be hard wired. Remember any line voltage splices (120volt) is required to be in a junction box. A receptacle can be surface mounted, or cut in the wall using a remodel box.

I originally wanted to run 18/2 from bay to bay and leaving the first connection for the transformer. The inspector said that I couldn't do that and had to use the romex.
There might have been some confusion. You cannot just run 18/2 zip cord, it needs to be a cable that is approved to be run in a wall such as 18/2 thermostat cable. It has an overall jacket and is approved for in wall use.

BTW - Moved this thread to electrical

Old 08-26-15, 07:49 AM
The transformer is designed to be hard wired. So after the transformer could I use the romex 14/2 that i already ran and splice that to the low voltage LED strip lights?

Old 08-26-15, 08:18 AM
Group Moderator
could I use the romex 14/2 that i already ran and splice that to the low voltage LED strip lights?
Yes. You would not use the ground wire. Just coil it in the back of the box in case you ever want to convert to line voltage.

Old 09-08-15, 11:21 AM
Thanks - I have everything ran and now I am having some issues trying to power these. I put an electrical box in the cabinet (controlled by switch) and tried using a 12v 3a wall wart and it powers the first strip perfectly and the second bay is getting power buy dropping off a little bit and the third bay are not turning on at all. I have a seagull LED transformer(12v 5a) transformer that powers all of the lights with no drop, but i am getting this annoying humming noise from the transformer.

Do you have any suggestions on how to power these without any voltage drops or annoying humming noise?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-08-15, 01:20 PM
This is what I bought.

Sea Gull Lighting Electronic Transformer | Wayfair

12 v
05 a
60 w

It powers the lights just fine with no flickering or drop, but just has that annoying hum. What would be some of the causes of a hum within the transformer?

Old 09-08-15, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
All transformers hum. Better ones hum less. Try mounting it with some rubber washers between it and whatever it is attached to.

Old 09-08-15, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
That is an electronic power supply. Most of those type supplies don't hum. It could be defective.

I do see a possible problem. Each LED strip needs to be connected directly to the transformer. You can't wire them end to end unless specified.

From the manufacturer of those listed in that Amazon link......
Do not lengthen the LED strip by directly connecting additional strips to it; additional lengths should be wired in parallel.

Old 09-09-15, 05:42 AM
Are you familiar with any other power supply that I could use for this?