open ground or open neutral

Old 08-26-15, 08:35 AM
open ground or open neutral

I checked the outlets in my house and found an open ground. The feed for the outlet comes from a 3 way switch. In the pic on the left is the 14-3 for the 3 way: white is hot, 2 travelers to the other 3 way switch and ground. On the right is the 14-2 to the outlet: black, white and ground (cut very short, not visible in photo). The white was used as hot and the black ran from the ground post on the 3 way to the neutral on the outlet. The ground was wire not used, hence I got an open ground. I guess the ground post got the neutral signal back to the panel to complete the circuit. Is there any way to solve this open ground or should I just leave it as is? I guess I could connect the ground but then I would have an open neutral.
Thanks
Name:  2015-08-26 10.43.53.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  24.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-15, 08:48 AM
Group Moderator
White is hot and the other two are travelers..... 100% wrong.

Is that switch supposed to control the receptacle ??

That white wire in the three wire cable should be neutral and going to the white of the receptacle.
The red and black are travelers and should be the hot carrying wires to the switch.
The black from the receptacle should go to the common three way switch terminal.

That piece of 14-2 w/gr needs to be replaced if you cannot connect the ground wire to the three wire ground.

Old 08-26-15, 08:51 AM
Unfortunately there's no proper way to tie an outlet into circuit here. Only proper way to fix is to run a feed to the outlet from either another outlet or a new feed back to the panel. The problem is that there is no neutral in this box. Tying the neutral from the outlet to the ground is against code and unsafe as the ECG (ground) is not allowed to carry current in normal (non-fault) operation.

Old 08-26-15, 08:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Why are people still cutting off the grounds when they have been required since the 70's?

Old 08-26-15, 09:06 AM
Group Moderator
Ran into that just yesterday, Had a very nice 3 wire cable for the range in the panel, ground cut off. Luckily I was able to get enough to splice to it.

Old 08-26-15, 09:31 AM
No, the switch does not control the outlet, it connects to another 3 way switch. The outlet is getting a hot feed from the switch but is not controlled by it. The white on the left side is always hot and the electrician had connected both that wire and the white wire going to the outlet to the same post, hence the hot gets to the outlet.

Old 08-26-15, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
An electrician did this ?? A licensed electrician ??

That is absolutely incorrect. Using the white wire as a hot wire to the three way switch is ok but using the ground wire of the three wire as a neutral is inexcusable.

A ground wire is never to carry neutral for a device. The ground is only there as a safety means.

As long as that stays a three way switch you cannot connect a receptacle there.

Old 08-26-15, 10:07 AM
I don't know if it was an electrician. Perhaps a handyman, there have been some alterations made.

Old 08-26-15, 10:22 AM
I can't get that 14-2 run out, I think it might be stapled in. Can I just cut the 3 wires short and cap it with a wire nut?
Thanks

Old 08-26-15, 11:31 AM
Yes, if you do so to both ends. Strip all the wires and twist then together in a single wire nut, this makes it obvious that it has been abandoned. You can just push it out into the wall cavity.