48 volts dc on ac neutral

Old 08-26-15, 10:04 PM
48 volts dc on ac neutral

I have two 14-2 wires running to two separate breakers with 1 breaker on I'm getting 48 volts dc on the neutral of circuit that is off, I think both circuits go to the 2nd floor. Could it be possible that a ups could be sending dc voltage back through the neutral? I know that the ups is on a separate circuit. The only other thing that i can think of is i have 1 bad outlet on second floor also a junction box in the wall. What could cause enough dc voltage on the neutral to give you a small shock? I did check ac voltage and no reading on the lowest scale (200 v). Both lines are bx the house was built in 1949 with only 4 screw in fuses and a new panel and service put in with original circuits and new added. Could it be a bad ground through the bx?

Last edited by butchs38; 08-26-15 at 10:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-15, 10:25 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

You should be reading 0v on the neutrals. Technically the neutrals and grounds are combined in the main panel.

You found 48vdc on the neutral...... the neutral to what ?

Old 08-26-15, 10:42 PM
The voltage is between neutral (white line) and ground in panel. The circuits go to outlets lights computers and 1 ups unit. I did unplug this ups but still got voltage. What confuses me is why dc and where could it be coming from. There is a second ups unit on a different circuit with a 12 3 line connected to a 20 amp dual pole breaker split into 2 110 circuits.

Old 08-26-15, 10:47 PM
Group Moderator
At your panel..... the neutrals and grounds SHOULD be connected together if it is the main panel and not a sub panel. You said romex. Do the grounds and whites connect on the same bar ?

A picture of the inside of the panel would be helpful. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 08-26-15, 10:56 PM
yea my mistake both are bx neutrals and grounds are connected on same bar for romex lines no ground wires on bx

Old 08-26-15, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the help traced it down to a bad three way switch which is a remote controlled switch.