Wiring up a light to a thermostat...

Old 08-27-15, 02:54 PM
Wiring up a light to a thermostat...

Hi..I purchased an enclosed off the shelf thermostat (picture attached) to control a light bulb controling heat for my tomato seeds.....I simply cannot work out how I wire this in with the light bulb to make it work...I am on 230v power here...Can somebody please help me... thanks Hk

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-15, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The STC-1000 is a very popular and reliable control unit. I'll draw you a diagram.

Name:  STC-1000WiringDiag.jpg
Views: 12383
Size:  25.2 KB

I've seen people mount the controller in a project box with a duplex receptacle so that one half is for heating and one half is for cooling.

Last edited by PJmax; 08-27-15 at 03:57 PM. Reason: added diagram
Old 08-27-15, 04:13 PM
Hi..I have now found wiring instructions etc...all for home brewing...so thats no problem ....I am struggling to get my head round how I keep the air under my tomato seeds at aprox 75 degrees F...using a light bulb .....As I understand the light bulb plugs into the heating ......What goes into the cooling...?? Thanks..

Old 08-27-15, 04:25 PM
Thats great ....so simplified .....So after I wire it up I need to set the controls so the light bulb keeps a steady 75 degrees under my self watering seed propagator.....They should germinate within 10 days...and then get transplanted into larger containers.......We are still getting frosts here in New Zealand but apparantly my seeds should have already been germinated...Thanks HK

Old 08-27-15, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
That is a dual purpose thermostat. You will use the heating section only for your application.

You would need to have some type of enclosed air chamber below the seed where the bulb would be and the thermostat would monitor.

Old 08-27-15, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
What goes into the cooling...??
You would use the cooling terminals if you wanted to cool a room with a fan. For example, if you had a greenhouse that would get hot in the sun and the STC-1000 would then turn on the fan(s) automatically.

Old 08-28-15, 12:42 AM
Hi..I am learning all the time...I wonder how those Red things come off ?? as I would like to anchor the STC-1000 in a secondary plastic box and wire it up....I presume I can then feed the AC power via an input line into the box and have power outlets for the heat and coolant terminals ......I am hoping the controls are easily to regulate..At least there are instructions for this unlike the wiring of it...Thankyou Hk

Old 08-28-15, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Those red/orange things are panel retaining clips. They slide off the back of the unit. You would then cut the hole in the panel, slide the thermostat in and then slide the clips back on to hold it in place.

Name:  stc1000.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  9.3 KB

Old 08-28-15, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
A light bulb is not the best source of heating. The energy converted to light is wasted and what heat is generated will mostly be directly above the bulb creating a hot spot. There are electric mats specifically designed for warming seed beds.

Old 08-28-15, 11:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Or get a ceramic heater / ceramic emitter. It will screw into a standard bulb socket but only produce heat unlike a light bulb. Tons of options online or at a pet store with reptile supplies.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55274[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 08-29-15, 03:58 AM
Please...Could somebody guide me on how I use the orange "tabs" ...I understand these are for locking the thermostat in a project box....but I am afraid I have not worked it out.....thankyou ..hk

Old 08-29-15, 04:17 AM
Unfortunately a single heatpad is over $80..I estimate the propagator will require no more than 10 days and the seeds will be transplanted to another heated receptacle for three to four weeks before finally being transplanted in my greenhouse..My intentions are to use the STC=1000 on each ...even in the greenhouse....I must make some enquiries re the availablity of ceramic heaters in New Zealand... I realise the red /orange things are retaining clips and I have tried to slide them off without success???Regards Hk.

Old 08-29-15, 04:24 AM
Group Moderator
Push the middle of the tab and the orange part will slide off the back.

Check this video at 13:00 in and you will see how to use them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrdOpk10MkE

Old 09-02-15, 12:49 AM
Ready to wire?

Hi ..I have the thermostat ..an AC Socket and a warm and cool input in a clear plastic casing....Will wire tonight...So hope it gets approval...the smudge on the top is left over from a sticker so will be cleaned off....
I hope I can follow the control directions to get my 75 degrees of heat...HkName:  THERMO.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  43.9 KBName:  THERMO_B.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  50.6 KB

Old 09-02-15, 03:37 AM
What a Disaster???

I cannot even get it wired?? I read somewhere to be careful with the wiring so I unscrewed the screw slightly and got mixed signals on where one actually pushes the wire in...I tryed to work it out using a magnifying glass on where the sensor wires go..There appears to be two small brass clips ...Does the wire go between them and then the screw tightens these clips against the wire??? who would know....Any help as usual appreciated,,,Hk

Old 09-02-15, 04:30 AM
More re wiring?

I took some photos but still does not clarify it for me although better than my eyesight??

Name:  1111.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  29.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-02-15 at 11:04 AM. Reason: removed extra pics
Old 09-02-15, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Hold the unit just like it is in the above picture. When you turn the set screw clockwise.... the plate comes down to hold the wire like the red arrow shows.

When you turn the set screw counterclockwise the captive plate rises just like the blue arrow shows.

The wires go under the captive plate.

Name:  DSCN1863.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  20.2 KB

Old 09-02-15, 04:13 PM
Thankyou..I have too much at risk to get this wrong...the photo you reproduced with the arrows....The one you marked red is the ONLY one I tryed to put a wire into...I realised when it never locked in that I had to find out exactly what the situation was cause I originally thought the wire might lock in between what appeared to me as a split brass clamp that closed...I bought this unit on a NZ Auction site and the seller has ignored my emails for help...The unit appears to have full instructions on setting it up but nothing on wiring etc....its "very easy" says the auction listing??? ...So your instructions are so important to me ....I am wiring it up exactly per your diagram although I have two bulb holders in the recepticle where the propagator sits...I will probably only use one bulb ....

I just hope that setting it to switch at 75 F will be straight forward .....I am already past the time for my seeds to be propagated...I will be using a flouro light above the seeds (on a timer) and when they are transplanted into larger planter boxes I hope to have proper grow lights ..this will be done within a Fibreglass Ply shipping container which does provide protection for them ...that will bring them to the stage of transplanting into planter bags and into the greenhouse when I hope the warmer weather will have arrived....Hk.

Old 09-02-15, 04:43 PM
Just one more point..Turning the set screw counterclockwise on the input marked red a few minutes ago is not raising the captive plate back to its proper position in fact it seems to have compressed the captive plate even more...it leaves me little choice but to find a small tool and carefully try to see if I can manually raise the captive plate back to its original position..then try again....Hk

Old 09-02-15, 05:31 PM
Is there an answer..?

Ok..I have taken another two photos.....Turning the set screw counterwise is not doing anything...AS I understand it should raise the clamp and allow me to put the wire underneath..its not doing this....I did use the sharp end of a safety pin to carefully put under the clamp and see if very slight pressure would raise the clamp ....it wouldn't....I even tryed slight pressure while turning counterclockwise the set screw?
I can only presume I have had it...Name:  DSCN1868.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  32.2 KBName:  DSCN1869.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  19.8 KB

Without being able to clamp the wire in the unit is useless....All I did yesterday was put the wire into the aperature and turned the set screw ...after a few turns it was evident the wire was not being clamped as the wire just fell out so I stopped to get instructions........I could try to get the seller to replace it???? But knowing these people he would most probably blame me....IMO..the unit probably needs to be taken apart (I understand it can) the setscrew and clamp on the particular aperature inspected visibly to see if one can see a difference to the one alongside it??.....Hk

Old 09-02-15, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
When you turn the screw...... do you see the plate going up and down ?
The terminal strips you have there are usually pretty rugged and reliable.

Old 09-02-15, 07:54 PM
Sorry for being a nuisance...I am in a corner?

Sorry for being a nuisance??..The seller is not even giving a requested read receipt to my email so I presume just as a few days ago they have no interest in replying....In the meantime I have found out how the outside cover comes off but the label has to be cut across where the cover breaks in two ...leaving visible evidence so there would be no way of the seller doing any deal even if I could get them to....

I need the thermostat ....thats it ..I am desparate...by removing the cover i will be able to see what I am dealing with as regards to the Screw/Plate......

Sorry
PJmax has just replied...

When you turn the screw...... do you see the plate going up and down ?
The terminal strips you have there are usually pretty rugged and reliable.

NO...This is what really concerns me ..When I turn the screw the plate is not doing anything...so thats my concern ?? Why Not ...When I used the safety pin in an effort to put light pressure on the plate while unscrewing I thought I sensed it move and jump back into the same position as in my photo ........It reminded me of what happens when a nut strips on a bolt?

Now just to ensure I have everything right here....I put a wire "under" the clamp and screw in the screw which in turn jams the wire under the clamp???

With the cover off and if I cannot determine the problem ...I presume I could resort to an alternative Like soldering a wire in there....Its the Heating input and the wire is a short link wire across to the 230ac input....IE 1 to 5...

I will await a reply in case you have any comment negative to my thinking... Regards Hk..

Last edited by hairykiore; 09-02-15 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-02-15, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Are you turning the screw counterclockwise, watching the plate open, insert the wire and then turn clockwise to lock the wire in.

If this is not happening then the only thing I can think of is the screw terminals are stripped.

Are any of the terminals working correctly ?

Old 09-03-15, 03:11 AM
I have decided...

Yes...Certainly thats what I did.....I have not tryed any other terminal...I rang a local electronic shop re any thermostats in stock and i explained what had happened to a technician ..he immediately mentioned that the screw terminal could be stripped and agreed that the only option was considering it was bought on NZ's trademe ??our version of Ebay (which is far more responsible than our outfit ) was to take the cover off check the terminal out and simply solder a wire on to it....So I have cut across the label and this allows the cover to slide off after releasing the clips at the side........meantime here are some photos of the recepticle (with a Stainless hoodie..a cloth dryer bowl in a small fridge) ..two light fittings ?? plus the seed propagator that has 40 cells ...its self watering so a seed raising mix is put in each cell with a seed the mix is watered with a very weak fertiliser mix and then it draws water via a storage tank and a capillary cloth...which one may see in the photos...Name:  DSCN1870.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  29.2 KBName:  DSCN1871.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  34.5 KBName:  DSCN1872.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  48.3 KBName:  DSCN1873.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  24.4 KB
As well as warmth underneath as I understand a light immediately above the propagator will perform miracles Hk

Old 09-03-15, 04:09 AM
Hi...Its night here ...but I have taken the cover off ..I cannot believe it....I will wait til morning to take a photograph...What I can say is the screw terminal is stripped ...one can actually hear the click as it jumps when unscrewing in the counter clockwise direction ....At first glance it appears the only way to get round this is to solder a wire to the circuit board but I will wait til morning and daylight and wait for your opinion...Yes I will try all the other terminals apart from the sensor as its already clamped in....
Just my luck ...
I have actually found 7 watt heating pads for sale which i think are at a very reasonable cost but one has to use a thermostat with it for a accurate warmth....I might consider this as an alternative to the bulbs as the light from the bulbs may effect the seeds as they need to be in the dark for a few hours a day..so a heating pad would not produce light and if the odd bulb blew ? well it could be cheaper long term ..and I thought growing tomatoes would be easy ???? Hk

Old 09-03-15, 06:42 AM
I must apologise to
ibpooks
ibpooks is offline Forum Topic Moderator..... who alerted me to ceramic heaters/emitters ...I have now found these on Ebay at incredibly low prices and free shipping to NZ....No body knows what they are here ?its terrible living on the backside of the world but perhaps safer....these are exactly what I require....I see they are available in all wattage sizes ...I presume i would control these by my STC-1000 Thermostat but any tips and wattage to buy would be extremely appreciated...just a comment on heating pads ...(for a reptile --no snakes in nZ apart from 2 legged ones) I found them on Trademe NZ's online auction for NZ $24.95 plus freight....the same as on Ebay for NZ$6.11 and Free Shipping to NZ from Hong Kong ....Thats a nice markup ??

Just ordered 6 bulbs on ebay depending on a combined shipping rate offer..seller is in Singapore so he may give me a good shipping price?

Last edited by hairykiore; 09-03-15 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-03-15, 06:38 PM
I am still confused..??

Its hailing outside and although I took the photos at the front door the flash operated ?? Terrible day....So the photos are not A1...

Ok..I am hoping to set this out as I see it so I will pull the original photo in....Name:  DSCN1863.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  29.7 KB
Note the latch position apart from # 5...

Now this is photo A just taken ...this is after i tryed to move the terminal screws clockwise but it was obvious they would only move anti /counterclockwise so i did this on terminals 1,2 6,7 and 8 and the latches of course moved upwards looking at the photo..

Name:  DSCN1874.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  48.4 KB

Photo B
Shows the latches..raised after I turned the screws counter clockwise..

Name:  DSCN1875.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  44.5 KB

Photo c
Shows the circuit board and in particular Terminal 5 as if the screw is stripped as i suspect I will have to carefully solder a wire directly to #5 on the board itself..

Name:  DSCN1876.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  34.4 KB

So I am still struggling on the wires ..It seems to me that one turns the terminal screw clockwise which lowers the latch (to the original position when received)the wire is put in above the latch and one turns the screw counterclockwise and this raises the latch and secures the wire....I admit that I have tried to determine the latch position on the sensor terminals to try and understand where the wires go...Was it bad luck that the only wire I tried was on a stripped terminal screw...i look forward to comments ..thankyou Hk

PS..I have had another look at the original and the most recent photo ...and I think I have it back to front...What are the latches..The gold pieces?? As they have gone down nearly out of sight when the screw was turned counter clockwise exposing silver???

Old 09-08-15, 12:13 AM
Finally I think I have it...

After a bout of the flu I think I have my thermostat in a plastic box with its wires going to a mounting block (apart from the probe) and then to an inlet power plug and a pair of female computer power plugs for the heat side and the other for the cooling side..I got confused by wire colours and I do not think a green earth wire is necessary....I decided a mounting block would protect the thermostat???

I have attached a drawing ....I think I have it right but it would be nice to have an assurance that my wiring is correct....Many thanks for the forum and comments.... Respectfully HK New Zealand..Name:  MY_WIRIN.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  44.4 KB

Old 09-08-15, 12:21 AM
Group Moderator
Yes..... your wiring is correct.

Old 09-08-15, 09:37 PM
Finished?

Hopefully I have it right... I am rather old and my concentration level is low when reading instructions ...Hopefully its a simple procedure to set the heat at 75 - 80 Degrees F..in the cavity below the seed propagator......Any tips would be very much appreciated...The ceramic emitters may arrive anyday ...and I will plant my seeds in the self watering propagator with a programed led light above .....If successful I will be so happy...Thanks to all the wonderful people in the world who are prepared to help people like myself on forums..Regards Hk

Attached Images   
Old 09-08-15, 09:44 PM
Group Moderator
Nice job..... looks good.

There shouldn't be any problem setting the temperature. I'm sure it'll be a little bit of a learning curve to get the temperature exactly where you want it in your growing system.

Old 09-09-15, 02:04 PM
Those are great little thermostats. I have two of them mounted in my air handler.

It may interest some to know that they also make them as humidistats too.

Digital 110V Electronic Air Humidity Controller Humidistat Hygrometer Control | eBay

Old 09-09-15, 10:46 PM
Group Moderator
Nice setup Bob.

Thanks for the info on the humidistat module. I wasn't aware of them.

Old 10-06-15, 04:18 PM
Re STC-1000 Thermostat

Hi...I am back? I need at least another two STC=1000 Thermostats so am looking at Ebay .....Now I see in the descriptions the Sensor has a couple of letters after it...EG ...FE...SN.....F5.....5Y....VP and so on????

Do these letters actually mean anything .....Thanks

Old 10-06-15, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Good question. I looked it up on eBay here and didn't see any letters after approx 50 entries.
STC-1000: Temperature Controllers | eBay

I checked on eBay/UK and didn't see any letters following the part number either.
stc-1000 | eBay / UK

Am I missing something ?

Old 10-07-15, 01:10 AM
Sensor

Name:  1_2015-10-07_205727.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  9.1 KBName:  2_2015-10-07_205816.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  9.7 KBName:  3_2015-10-07_205910.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  10.6 KBName:  4_2015-10-07_205946.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  9.1 KBName:  5_2015-10-07_210046.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  10.7 KBName:  6_2015-10-07_210116.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  10.3 KBName:  7_2015-10-07_210146.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  10.6 KBName:  8_2015-10-07_210229.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  10.5 KB

Hi...This is what I mean .....Hk

Old 10-07-15, 11:19 AM
Group Moderator
I see what you mean now. I have no idea. If you look at the ads they all show the same black sensor with black wire. I couldn't find any other pictures of a different sensor. You may have to ask one of the sellers that question.

Old 10-09-15, 05:41 PM
I have made a terrible Mistake..

Hi..In my hurry to get another Thermostat I went to the same Seller here in NZ that I bought my STC =1000 from and unfortunately bought the wrong Thermostat...Buying from an auction site I believe they will have no sympathy for me and an email to them has been unanswered.....It was my own fault....
What I have is a Shenzhen Meihang model MH1210W and I may need some guidance with it..
Should I start a New thread or rely on this one for any answers..(there should not be many questions) .I have attached the circuit diagram with the unit Name:  CIRCUIT.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  10.6 KB

Now I presume NTC is where the Sensor probe is connected too......Its different to the STC-1000 ...I am using it to switch off and on ceramic heat bulbs between 23 - 24 C so would welcome knowing where do I connect the wires too .....is it where it says load.....?
Thanks hk

Last edited by hairykiore; 10-09-15 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-09-15, 09:09 PM
Group Moderator
No problem..... basically the same thing. Has heating terminals only.... no cooling terminals.

Name:  STC-1000WiringDiag.jpg
Views: 2270
Size:  38.7 KB

Old 10-10-15, 02:43 AM
Thanks...

Thanks for the Diagram ...I just cannot understand why I never made sure what I was buying ....I have its case made and just have to wire it up....Hopefully I can program it by recalling how I did the STC-1000.....Hk