Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Buzzing Noise in house when heat pump compressor turns on outside

Old 08-28-15, 05:04 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone could identify what is going on by a "noise" i have recorded. When my heatpump (electric heater for my pool) turns on there is a loud buzz that comes from inside the house (my heat pump is 50 heat away from the house in the back yard). I recorded the noise by putting my phone right next to the electrical panel in my basement.

I is about 1 one second buzz that happens at the same time the compressor turns on.

I checked the breakers and many of them had loose black wires....so i tightened them up. Kind of scare the some of the took 3-5 turns of the screwdriver to get tight. It seemed to make the sound quieter but it still occurred.

I couldn't attache the noise to this post, but that probably would have been helpful to someone with experience.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by jhirsch1; 08-28-15 at 05:08 PM. Reason: fixed grammer and spelling
Old 08-28-15, 05:07 PM
J
Besides call an electrician.

Old 08-28-15, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
How loud..... loud enough to hear throughout the house or just near the panel ?
Most circuit breakers are thermal magnetic and can hum when a large load is connected.

You can't attach a file that big here. You'd have to host it on you tube or photobucket and then link to it here.

Old 08-28-15, 06:28 PM
J
The noise was pretty loud in the house. Could hear it on the first floor of the house and it was coming from the basement.

I've attached a clip to youtube at the link below: (thanks for the tip)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwvg34up8CQ&feature=youtu.be I think it got quieter when after i tightened all the black wires. Didn't do neutrals yet, but hoping they are loose too and causing the issue.

Old 08-28-15, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Good recording. Is that as long as it lasts..... about a second ?

Does any other high drain device...... electric stove, electric dryer, etc. cause that noise ?
Have you noticed the lights in the house dimming excessively or getting brighter when that happens ?

If it is just the heat pump doing that ...... I'd recommend removing that breaker and inspecting the back of it for burned marks. You can shut the main breaker off first to kill panel power if you are unsure about removing a breaker.

If you are unsure about removing a breaker..... DON'T. Ask first.

Old 08-29-15, 03:25 AM
J
Yes, that is the duration of the noise about a second and only when the unit starts, not while it's running.

We do not notice any issue with the lights dimming.

It is a 70amp breaker going to a sub panel near the pool. The run was too long for cable the electrician had so there is a big plastic box near the rear of my house where he connected the wires with big wore nuts. I looked in there and the nuts were tight.

I removed the breaker yesterday, tightened the hot wires (just a little, not too loose).

Do you think the noise is isolated to that circuit? Or could it somehow be coming fr another breaker or wore arching?

I going to tighten all the neutrals as I am sure some are not snug as I found with the black wires.

Of the noose still occurs do you think I should just replace the breaker?

Thanks so much

Old 08-29-15, 05:03 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
What mfg. are the breakers,is there by chance another 70 amp breaker in the panel you could swap to see if that solves the problem,even a 60 amp may work to test with.
Geo

Old 08-29-15, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
It sounds like just a high surge current when the heat pump starts, which is fairly normal. When you pulled the breaker, did you inspect the bus bars (where the breaker attaches to the panel) and the fingers on the breaker? Make sure they are in good shape and not pitted.

Trying another breaker, as Geo suggested, might be a good idea.

Old 08-29-15, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
Good advice given. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a main breaker problem which is why I asked about heavy loads.

Some breakers are noisy on an instantaneous load connection.

Old 08-29-15, 05:52 PM
J
It is a cutler hammer. I happen to have a spare 70amp breaker and will take the other break out tomorrow and look for marks and switch breakers.

Still need to check the tightness of all the neutrals.

Wondering if the noise would have to come from the breaker for that circuit or could it be from another breaker, circuit or wire in the box?

Old 08-29-15, 07:16 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Still need to check the tightness of all the neutrals.
Unlikely a heat pump has a neutral.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: