Generator not producing power

Old 08-30-15, 08:28 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Generator not producing power

I have a 5500 watt PowerBoss generator that stopped producing power. It has a 10 HP Briggs & Stratton engine that starts and runs fine. This particular model has the power panel built into the end of the generator with a 110V duplex plug, a 240V twist-lock plug and 2 breakers. I took the end panel off and saw nothing out of the ordinary, no loose wires, etc. there is a large capacitor in there. Will a malfunction on that capacitor result in no output? I did see a few diodes down in the end of the windings, I suppose there could be an open down there due to vibration or something. Looking for the quick easy test & potential easy fix scenarios. Thanks!

TexasFire

Old 08-30-15, 03:20 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Was the generator working and producing power when it stopped making juice? If so that could point to a component failure. If it's worked fine when you put it away last year but didn't work when you tried it after sitting unused a long time then it may need flashing. Search "how to flash a generator" to see what it entails.

Old 08-30-15, 05:55 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It wasn't a sudden failure. It was making juice the last time I used it but it sat for a while. I will look up the flashing instructions. Thanks
TexasFire

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: