Capping EMT conduit

Old 08-31-15, 01:15 PM
Capping EMT conduit

I need to cap an EMT conduit.

I have eliminated one circuit so I remove the EMT conduit run all the way from the panel to the ceiling box.

When I got to the ceiling box my intent was to remove the set screw connector, and close the 1/2" KO hole with a KO seal. Simple.

Only problem is I found out the locknut on the inside of the 4" square metal box was pit on cockeye and messed up the threads. I am not going to be able to back it out with a round mud ring mudded in and existing wiring inside. I will have to leave the connector in place.

I guess I can connect to it a short piece of EMT conduit? Then to the other end a set screw box connector...if I remove the locknut from the connector, will I be able to put a standard 1/2" threaded pvc cap for plumbing over it?

So the fundamental question is, will a standard 1/2" NPT PVC female cap thread nicely onto the male threads of a 1/2" EMT connector?

Or is there an easier way to cap it?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-15, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
Is the box going to stay in place? If so I would just leave everything in place and just remove the wires. An extra pipe is never a bad thing.

Old 08-31-15, 04:49 PM
Can't do that as I already ripped out the pipes from one end to the other and this is the last segment of it. Yes the box will stay in place.

Old 08-31-15, 08:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bent nose pliers may help twist the locknut off.

Old 08-31-15, 08:31 PM
problem is access.

It is a 4" square box with a round 3.5" mud ring that cannot be removed (well not unless I chip out all the mud around it), and the connector is at a corner. I can get a plier through that mud ring and have enough of a grab to twist it off.

Old 08-31-15, 09:17 PM
Group Moderator
I'm feeling a bit dumb. I have never heard of capping off a conduit and not sure why you would. If it is for fire safety why not cut the wires as short as possible and fill the conduit with fire stop caulk?

Old 08-31-15, 10:19 PM
Ray, there is no wire inside. It's just a connector that can't be removed due to a "stuck" lock nut on the threads.

I guess I am thinking I need to somehow seal it the same reason you would seal a KO hole in a junction box.

They do make an end cap for it, but it's not available at big box stores.

So I was just thinking the way I can do this is to cut a real short piece of conduit, cap it with a set screw connector WITHOUT the lock nut, and put a 1/2" PVC threaded cap over it.

Old 08-31-15, 10:51 PM
Group Moderator
Why not just seal it with fire stop caulk.

Old 09-01-15, 08:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Seems reasonable. If you're not pulling wires into it, is it really a conduit? I don't think there's any code implication. Hammering it flat seems fair too.