New AC handler and existing junction box conflict

Old 09-01-15, 02:07 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
New AC handler and existing junction box conflict

My existing central AC is crapping out and I am about to have a company come install a new unit.

My existing air handler is located in a closet, where there is also a hot water heater.

The existing air handler cabinet is 14" wide...however, they don't make the skinny ones anymore and the narrowest model they can install for me is a 17.5" wide one.

So one side is the closet wall, the other side of the 14" is a 240V switch to my hot water heater. See pictures.

So we have a problem, they said they can mount the new air handler higher, so it would clear the box where the NMb wire comes out of the wall, but the switch is going to be an issue.

There is an EMT conduit that runs overhead above the ceiling. that comes down to the switch box. I believe it's a 1G handy box.

Options? I could put a 1G extension ring on the lower box, and put the switch on it. But this still mean there will be two splices made in the box above it that would be covered (made inaccessible) by the AC cabinet.

Thoughts?

Old 09-01-15, 02:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do you have access above the closet? If so terminate the water heater feed there and run new wiring to the water heater.

Old 09-01-15, 02:59 PM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
What's wrong with your system? Can't it be fixed? A lot of the HVAC repair guys really are just sales reps.

You can go to another company and they can get you a 14" system

Deluxe Fan Coil – FEM4P | Heil

Old 09-01-15, 03:00 PM
M
Unfortunately Ray no access above, that part of the house is a flat roof.

I could potentially open a LARGE HOLE in the wall higher up, and mount a new junction box further to the right, insert cut the pipe inside the wall, and insert an elbow to go right...but that's a bigger project than I want right now, and it's going to be crowded with the water heater in the way.

Old 09-01-15, 03:12 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Yes opening the wall seems to be the best bet. Maybe just surface mount a 60 amp unfused A/C disconnect for the water heater. Cut the EMT carefully so you don't damage the wires, run FMC from the cut EMT to the disconnect and then run armored cable from the disconnect to the water heater.

One reason I suggest a disconnect is I'm skeptical that that switch is 2-pole. For safety it should to be.

Old 09-01-15, 03:52 PM
M
I am going to tackle this Thursday evening. When I open the switch plate cover I will know if it's a double pole switch.

Old 09-01-15, 03:57 PM
M
Astuff, both the coil inside and outside are literally falling apart, I can brush my fingers across the outside coil and the "fins" flake off. The compressor is also on the last leg and the motor only start up half the time sometimes requires a "push".

Old 09-01-15, 04:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You could solve many of your problems by switching to cables versus fighting with the conduits that no longer meet your needs.

Old 09-02-15, 06:23 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I just bought a 14"W coil and air handler to fit in a closet at my own house last week. You might want to shop around HVAC dealers to find one with different manufacturer's product lines.

Last edited by ibpooks; 09-02-15 at 06:39 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: