RF switch control of vacuum pump

Old 09-01-15, 08:43 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
RF switch control of vacuum pump

I am trying to help a dentist to be able to control a new vacuum pump from 5 separate locations (max. distance-60 ft.). Many dentists turn on and off their pumps once a day, but my friend works by himself and would prefer to control pump intermittently. The vacuum pump has a sophisticated motor control that is set up for a 12VDC remote switch, but the manufacturer tells me it can only be controlled from 1 location. Surely there is a way to control this pump with wireless RF transmitters to a receiver that would send 1 signal through the 12VDC circuit to the motor controller. Can anyone help with finding the right products to complete this installation?

Old 09-01-15, 09:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

the manufacturer tells me it can only be controlled from 1 location.
Sounds like a possible miscommunication there.

There are hundreds of 12vdc remote systems. You can find them on amazon, eBay, etc. He could carry a remote on him or buy extras a leave one in each room.

Here's just one as an example.... Heavy-Duty-Universal-Remote-Control

Old 09-01-15, 07:40 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks PJmax for the info. I may have not explained the manufacturers response correctly. The motor controller has a connector with 3 wires: 12vDC+; 12vDC+ (for a lighted switch); and 12vDC common. This is for a switch that is wired with 18 gauge-3 wire (if a lighted switch). The manufacturer told me that you couldn't combine 2 or more wired switches to the connector on the motor controller.
If I were to use a wireless remote with receiver I would not want the receiver to output 12vDC, correct? I just need the receiver to complete the circuit as the motor controller is outputting the 12vDC. Is this correct also?

Old 09-02-15, 03:17 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Many receivers have simple relay contacts. Normally open and normally closed so when activated it either closes or opens the circuit. No current is created, generated or sent down the line. Most just acts as a simple on/off switch.

Old 09-02-15, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Most of the RF wireless products you can buy are two sets of dry relay contacts. It's up to you how to wire them. The one in the link above is dry contacts.

If you want to use multiple wired switches then we can leave you a stepper circuit that turns the pump on or off with a simple press of a button.

Anything is possible !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: