Mechanical Timer for Shop Heater?

Old 09-02-15, 09:36 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mechanical Timer for Shop Heater?

Hello all. I would like to know what mechanical timer (an amazon or other supplier link of product) I could use for a shop heater in my garage.
The little heater is 4800watts 240v 60hz
Its a Dimplex DCH4831L if that helps at all.
I wired in a dryer 3 prong plug for it into my subpanel in my garage. Its on a 30amp 220 circuit breaker. Works great, I just would like it to come on a half hour or so before I get in so I don't have to wait for the place to heat up.
What mechanical timer can I wire to this?

Old 09-02-15, 09:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Something in the Intermatic line would work for you. The following is a two pole time switch that opens both hot legs to the heater. They also make a single pole that only opens one leg.

Intermatic T104R DPST 24 Hour Mechanical Time Switch -208-277 volt: Electrical Timers

Old 09-02-15, 10:46 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks, Pete. I'm going to order up the one you posted and give it a shot. I hooked up a mechanical timer to an air conditioner before, so I think I should be able to handle it. Is there any advantage of either the single or two pole?

Old 09-03-15, 05:51 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
If the heater was hard-wired you would need the two pole as code requires both hot poles to disconnect. However since this is a cord and plug unit, the plug counts as the required two pole disconnect, so it doesn't really matter which you choose.

Old 09-03-15, 07:23 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Kelly, does that heater you have actually put out some good heat? This one I bought last November for my garage is total junk. My dog can fart more heat than this puts out I kid you not.

Amazon.com - Dr Infrared Heater, DR988 5600W Portable Industrial Heater - Garage Heater

Meter spins like an airplane propeller but zilch for heat.

Thanks

Old 09-03-15, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Meter spins like an airplane propeller but zilch for heat.
I'm sure. Based on most electric rates it would be + $.50 an hour minimum.

You'd be better off using infrared heating strips.

Old 09-03-15, 01:20 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Baldwin, that heater outputs approximately 19,000 BTUs per hour. I have used a similar heater to heat a room approximately 20 feet by 30 feet, or 600 square feet. This building (a surplus portable classroom) has no insulation in the walls and I suspect minimal insulation in the ceiling although it does have an acoustical tile drop ceiling. It DID however take a full day to bring it up to about 70 degrees. It could not maintain that temperature if the outside temperature dropped much below forty-five. Because it was on almost continuously it failed after about a year of service. After the second heater failed I took a couple of 5,000 watt, 208/240 volt three-phase heaters and reconnected them for single phase operation. To my knowledge the first heater is still in operation with the second being held in reserve in case the first fails. It still is not able to maintain 70 if the outside temperature drops too much but at least it keeps things in the room from freezing.

Kelly, how large is your shop, including the ceiling height and how much, if any, insulation is present? How well sealed from the outside is the shop and what outside temperatures are common? Your heater only puts out a bit over 16,000 BTUs per hour and if your shop loses that amount the heater won't do a thing but eat up electricity.

Old 09-03-15, 02:34 PM
B
The only reason I bought that was if something came up and I had to be in the garage I could at least stand in front of it for a minute and warm my fingers. Considering how hot a little electric 1500 watt in the bathroom gets I figured this would be hotter.

My garage in 26x40 with no insulation so it sure wouldn't heat the place up but I thought I could at least warm my legs and fingers. No such luck.

Old 09-03-15, 02:39 PM
B
And yes, I did figure the cost which is right about on but I wasn't going to use for any length of time.

Old 09-03-15, 02:48 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I thought I could at least warm my legs and fingers. No such luck.
Nope, the temperature rise on those heaters is maybe ten or fifteen degrees, barely enough to notice. They output the BTUs by forcing a lot of air across the heating element.

A much better solution would be a real infrared heater but they are fairly costly. With the infrared you heat objects, including yourself, not air.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: