Switch controls outlets

Old 04-04-01, 01:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

I need info on how to wire a switch controlling two outlets.
The power source firts comes into one outlet, then to the other outlet, then it goes to the switch. What connections need to be made at each point?? Thanks for any help on this!!

Dan

Old 04-04-01, 02:12 PM
Visiting Guest
basically, the power source must go to the switch first, then the receptacles

Old 04-04-01, 03:01 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
or the switch leg running from the switch to the first receptacle that is served by the power feed coming from your power source.

Wg

Old 04-05-01, 07:22 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The power source can go to the switch first, or it it can go to the outlet plug first, either way it will work, but wired slightly different. But if the power source is coming to an outlet first , the power source must be entering the same box as the wire cable going to the switch. The switch power can then feed other outlets, but at the same time there will be no unswitched power on anything further down on the circuit getting there source of power from a switched plug other than the oulet location that has the power source and switch wire cable. I would assume that teh current outlet to outlet wireing is black/white/bare and not red/black/white/bare in which case it could be possible to feed outlet to outlet a switched and unswitched source feed.

If you want exact wire for wire detailed explaination then please repost assuming you understand what I am saying above. Tell me if there is as mentioned a need for an unswitched source of power following the outlets you want to switch.

Is there a switch currently existing and if so what is its purpose. I assume that the plugs in question currently exist and are in an always on state. You really have to know what is on the same circuit getting there power source from any of the plugs in question, there is some things we can do to determine that, I will await further info from you.

[Edited by dkerr on 04-05-01 at 10:28]

Old 04-05-01, 11:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Dkerr,

This is new wiring. I have two lights that need plugged in.
The source first comes into the receptacle, then goes to another receptacle, then to the switch. I would like the switch to turn on/off the lights when plugged in. I am using only black and white wire. Please inform me on all the connections that need to be made.

Old 04-05-01, 01:22 PM
Visiting Guest
djuba711;
you can only switch the recptacle closest to the switch ( as the wire runs) The white will be the hot to the switch, the black will be the return.

the black at the recptacle will need to wirenut to the white going to the switch, the black returning from the switch will need to energize said receptacle.

you cannot get both receptacles to switch from your already wired installation unless it is exposed, and you are willing to cjhange it

Old 04-05-01, 01:23 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can't wire it this way you must either have the source and switch wire cables at the same outlet or have the power source come to the switch box first. Also is the power source and wire cable going to the switch are both at the same outlet plug, it is possible to have only half of that plug switched and the other half of the plug in an always on state, you can't do that with the 2nd plug with having a black/red/white/bare cable going from outlet 1 and outlet 2, so the 2nd switch would have to entirely switched (both halfs). If the power source goes to the switch box first then you can only switch both halfs of both outlets without a black/red/white/bare cable going to outlet 1 and then from outlet 1 to outlet 2 location.

This won't work with the power source going to outlet 1 and the wire cable going to the switch box coming to outlet 2.
Let me know how you intend on cahnging your wiring configuration and I will give you the details on how to wire it. If you move it so that there are 3 cables going into the same outlet box, that is switch wire cable, power source cable and cable going to next outlet, you will have 6 wires in that box plus the bare ground wires, this is another consideration as boxes are rated for a certain max number of wires allowed depending on there size/depth.

Again you current configuration will only allow the possibility of 1 switched plug not 2, you will have to change the wiring to have 2 outlet plugs switched.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: